2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with unwanted links imbeded in my IE pages

I am running Windows 8: When I open IE 10 pages on my PC, e.g. Home Page the pages display okay, but some words are highlighted in blue (links) which I have not put there or asked for. If I click on one of these links I am taken to another web page which is foreign to me. It acts like a Trojan or Malware; however, my antivirus programs don't pick anything up. Can any body suggest a way of getting rid of this problem please?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Can you give an example of a page on which this happens?

Does it happen if you run IE with add-ons disabled?

Joe

Thanks
    I believe in my case I got rid of these "highlighted" words by using some Tracking Protection lists which also help to eliminate these annoying ads.

TrackingProtectionLists.jpg

These might also be coming from add-ons in your browser as reported in many articles found with a Google search.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    I am running Windows 8: When I open IE 10 pages on my PC, e.g. Home Page the pages display okay, but some words are highlighted in blue (links) which I have not put there or asked for. If I click on one of these links I am taken to another web page which is foreign to me. It acts like a Trojan or Malware; however, my antivirus programs don't pick anything up. Can any body suggest a way of getting rid of this problem please?
    You need to check the installed add-ons. This situation is usually the result of an add-on that does the highlighting.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Links imbedded in web pages are common, part of what makes the web what it is. Not meaning to give you short shrift, here, but if you don't want to visit the link, don't click on the highlighted word. But the link itself is built into the web page you're viewing. You didn't ask for it, but the author of the web page indended for it to be there.

My web site, for example, is full of imbedded links, as is Windows Secrets Lounge. On my web site, I choose the color through which the link is made obvious. Having the links highlighted lets the reader know easily that they are indeed links.

This link, for example, is to your OP. I've used HTML code to make it show in purple.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    But the link itself is built into the web page you're viewing. You didn't ask for it, but the author of the web page indended for it to be there.
    Not necessarily: What is Text Enhance?

Advisory: How to Remove Unwanted Text-Enhance Links

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-11-03 at 09:45.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Not necessarily: What is Text Enhance?

Bruce
    True enough; Joe, Medico and Rui had already covered that aspect. But there are still web pages that utilize link code for purposes other than adware. I've noticed them on tech sites where for example an acronym is used, a hover popup spells out the source letters of the acronym, and clicking on the link takes one to a fuller explanation of the technology. No ads, just beneficial use of HTML.

And nothing happens if one doesn't hover or click. It's rather benign, but can prove useful. There are also commercial sites that do indeed use link code for additional ad revenue. Again, these are in the page, not the browser, and ignoring them renders them equally benign.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got home after a weekend away. Thanks for all the replies. I did not describe my problem very well. Firstly: The web page I am referring to is my own web site which I have developed myself. However when my daughter opens up the site she finds several of the pages have some words highlighted in blue with a small green circular arrow also. These are the "links" which take her to another page, if she clicks on them. I am the author of this site; I did not put them there nor do I want them there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got home after a weekend away. Thanks for all the replies. I did not describe my problem very well. Firstly: The web page I am referring to is my own web site which I have developed myself. However when my daughter opens up the site she finds several of the pages have some words highlighted in blue with a small green circular arrow also. These are the "links" which take her to another page, if she clicks on them. I am the author of this site; I did not put them there nor do I want them there.
    UPDATE:
    I have solved the probelm. I found a program installed on my daughter's PC named "Data Spy". She does not know how it got there; somehow she has downloaded this program whilst downloading other data. I used control panel to uninstall the program and the probelm "disappeared" i.e. no more "links" highlighted on any of the pages of my website. For info of bbearren: What you say is correct if somebody else developed the website and intentionally put the links there; in this case it was my website not theirs and they used a program (spyware?) to hijack my site on another PC in order to put their unwanted links there on some of the pages. No at all what you are saying. As I say I probably did not make this clear in the first instance. Thanks to all for their replies.

Administrator
    Thanks
    They didn't put links on your site. If they had done it, every visitor would see them.

What the program did was change her browser's behavior, so that certain words were transformed to a link.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes that's exactly what happened. Other people who opened the website did not have the same problem; it was only on my daughter's PC and was caused by the program she downloaded without realising it. Is this type of program "spyware"? If not what would it be best described as.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know if there is a name for such programs. Whether it is spyware is definitely not something that you can infer from just the underlining words behavior. It may be that besides underlining words, the program could be doing some other tasks, but that doesn't seem to be common.

You should, nevertheless, run a malware scan in your daughter's computer, to make sure it is clean.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, first time I have encounted it. We ran "re-image" and "AVG Free" but neither picked it up. I have run them again since uninstalling the program; still nothing. So here's hoping.