4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual-boot heaven

I have a dual-boot setup with Win 7 and Ubuntu 13.10, and today is one day I am very glad to have that setup.

All heck (aw shucks, darn) has broken loose on the Windows side of this computer, with some form of malware apparently triggering a cycle of troubles (according to WinPatrol, at any rate), with two top-level programs, Kaspersky and Adobe Cloud. It just happens that there was a major revelation two days ago that the extent of the hacking of the Adobe site was far greater than previously thought (or at least disclosed) so this is a giant worry, and it may be best for me to stay out of Windows until there is more information available about what is really going on.

The big advantage of the dual-boot is that I am now safely on the Linux side and can communicate with people like Adobe and track events, and carry on with a multitude of ordinary things like word-processing, browsing, and so forth.

As for this version of Ubuntu, as nearly as I can see it's dandy, but I spend almost all of my time in Windows so can't qualify as an authority. I like it, and I certainly like all that open source software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Do you want to tell us more about the problems on the Windows side? Did you mean you got infected, somehow, because of the Adobe breach?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Just a general comment: Kaspersky can be very 'trigger happy' when it comes to new or newly updated software, frequently flagging them as 'malicious' when in actual fact they are clean but rare. Other AV, especially those with 'advanced heuristics', etc. frequently act the same way (heuristics = guess).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The symptoms appear similar to those I experienced with a supposedly tame sort-of-malware called Conduit, which can't be got rid of easily because it puts a toolbar on any browser and even if you get rid the thing it re-installs itself because it has changed your home page to its own. I think it is argued that it isn't even malware, but it is certainly a nuisance.

In the present case, there is a round-robin of installations of updates to legitimate programs (I think one of my Copernic programs was tossed into the cycle at least once), in that they keep re-installing themselves over and over again. This is one of the things (symptomatically) that WinPatrol is designed to help you deal with, and WinPatrol may be the best remedy - I just haven't worked it out myself yet. Any WinPatrol users who know and understand the territory are welcome to offer help or suggestions (WinPatrol does explicitly state that 'you may have been infected with malware').

I haven't the faintest idea of how I got infected, or even if I am infected - my big worry is that it's the top-of-the-line Kaspersky (which presumably has the same AV component as the others) and the most expensive software on the machine - Adobe - who acknowledge having had a major breach very recently. I have already run Spybot, Kaspersky, and Malwarebytes, although not full scans.

Oh, my, it's peaceful here in Ubuntu.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

I appear to have been getting false positives from WinPatrol.

I have a second machine that is set up with almost the same configuration as the machine with the troubles, and ran that for a time, installing the relevant updates, with no sign of trouble. Finally, the penny dropped and I realized that it was probably WinPatrol itself. I uninstalled it and re-installed it on the ailing computer, and have had no trouble since.

I should add that it is normally a well-behaved utility, which I have used for a significant time, and which I will continue to use.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Well, sometimes even reliable apps do that. I am glad your problem is sorted.
    Rui
    -------
    R4