Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to reset Netgear wireless router

I have a used Netgear Wireless-N 150 WNR1000 v2 that I've been using for about 6 weeks without any problems

Today I wanted to change the login entries to the router and I was able to get into the router configuration with the default username & password
    --- I couldn't find a way to change the username admin so I left it alone
    --- Then I attempted to change the default password but it didn't take and since then I cannot get back into the routers configuration page

I get the following message on the login box
    The server 10.0.0.1 at NETGEAR WNR1000v2-VC requires a username and password
    Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)

I do not like the sound of "an insecure manner" etc
    --- I had saved the original configuration as a .cfg file but I cannot use it since I cannot get into the netgears configuration so that's no help

But is there a way I can clear out that "an insecure manner" etc and get back to normal?
    --- I don't know whether or not this matters, but I tried to change the default password to a 20 character password that according to Microsoft tested in the Best category
    --- Netgears configuration page did not designate any recommendations or limitations on changing passwords

I suppose I could reset the configuration with the reset button if that'll work

Thanks
    Cmptrgy,

According to the manual for your router there is a "Reset to Factory Settings" button just to the right of the last RJ-45 female connector as the router is viewed from the back. Just hold it for 5 seconds as the manual says and then you should be able to get back in with the "default" credentials and the load your saved cfg file. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-02)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The "insecure" message is probably because the username / password are sent as clear text and there is the potential for someone "sniffing" your connection to read the text. This is normal for home routers and really isn't a security concern unless you are using a wifi connection that is using WEP or no encryption.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thanks for your explanation
    Unfortunately because of that message I can't even get into my router configuration plus it gives me the impression that I need to figure out how to have my username & password sent in an insecure manner i.e. basic authentication without a secure connection and that to me is ridiculous
    --- I have downloaded the manual and I do not see that issue addressed; at least not yet
    As a result I am going to follow RetiredGeek's advice plus I'm going to send Netgear's customer service a message mentioning that; politely of course even though I believe what has happened is atrocious when I'm just trying to change my password to a secure one

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Probably the first thing one should do when installing a new router is to change the admin password. The default passwords are known by everyone and they are regularly used by hackers to gain control of routers with unchanged passwords.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes that is true and that was attempted. When the Netgear wireless was given to me I let my brother have it since I have my own wireless laptop that I use. He chaged the Netgear password or so he thought when he put it into use. Whatever he did, his attemp to change the password did not take and the default password was still in use when as I found out when I checked his configuration. So that's when I attempted to change the password to a secure one according to the change password feature in the routers configuration setup which resulted into the problem presented. BTW, resetting the router with its reset button didn't help and I have sent a message of complaint to Netgear's customer service. Even if it's my fault because I might have missed something, I still would like to know if it's possible to find out. I have also done enough inquiries on line and there's plenty of them but I haven't seen one yet with a solution. However, if I do find a solution I will post it in case it will be helpful to someone else some day

Administrator
    Thanks
    If a reset didn't change restore the default settings, something is definitely wrong with the router. Hopefully NetGear's tech support will be able to help. If, for some reason, they don't, you probably will be safer if you replace it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good news: I'm back in business. Thanks to RetiredGeek's description, I found out I didn't reset the router but had used the on/off power button thinking I was resetting the router. The manual I downloaded doesn't show the diagram of the router but there is a diagram on the bottom of the router which was covered with a velcro strip by the previous owner so it would stay in place. So I uncovered the diagram and realized the hadn't used the reset point but it sure brought back the deafult settings and I can log in now. Also I definitely agreed with Rui that if the router did not reset itself, there is something wrong & I wasn't about to wait forever to hear back from Netgear so I pursued what I could. Nothing like experience being attained. Now the last thing I will need to find out from Netgear what are the limitations, if any, on passwords. I had used a 20 character password with all the "bells and whistles" that tested as best in Microsofts password strength tester. However, maybe the Netgear password straightaway text 7 I intend to find out what they say as there isn't any mention in the downloaded manual or the router configuration that I saw. In the meantime I will create a text only password for the time being: a different password is better than doing nothing

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would say you can try without fear. Just type (or paste ) the password you want in Word or other app you can easily reach and then use it on the router. See if there are any error messages. If the password is accepted, log out and then try to login again.
    The very worst that can happen is you having to reset the router again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-05)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope you are using a password manager to remember - and enter - your passwords?

cheers, Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did change the password default to a 20 character all small leters with numbers mixed and it tested strong in Microsofts password strength checker and all's fine with it
    I still don't know the requirements, limitations or whether or not my attempted Best password should have worked the other day but at least there is a strong password in effect

The login box still shows up with the "The server 10.0.0.1 at NETGEAR WNR1000v2-VC requires a username and password
    Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)" logging in isn't a problem. Maybe that's the standard login message anyway, I don't know since I didn't do the original setup but I'll note whether or not it is the next time I have do one

However, since the I had reset it back to its original default setup, I'll accept it as it is. I'm also glad I had saved the original setup so I didn't have to go back in to reset what had been setup because I just restored it. Just the same I went back into the configuration and everything checked out fine

The possibility of using WEP or no encryption was mentioned in a prior post and that is not the case: it was set up to use WPA2-PSK (AES) and I left it as is
    --- BTY if someone wanted to set it up with WEP or no encryption, I would refuse to do so and they can have someone else do it but not me

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I did change the password default to a 20 character all small leters with numbers mixed and it tested strong in Microsofts password strength checker and all's fine with it
    I still don't know the requirements, limitations or whether or not my attempted Best password should have worked the other day but at least there is a strong password in effect

The login box still shows up with the "The server 10.0.0.1 at NETGEAR WNR1000v2-VC requires a username and password
    Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)" logging in isn't a problem. Maybe that's the standard login message anyway, I don't know since I didn't do the original setup but I'll note whether or not it is the next time I have do one

However, since the I had reset it back to its original default setup, I'll accept it as it is. I'm also glad I had saved the original setup so I didn't have to go back in to reset what had been setup because I just restored it. Just the same I went back into the configuration and everything checked out fine

The possibility of using WEP or no encryption was mentioned in a prior post and that is not the case: it was set up to use WPA2-PSK (AES) and I left it as is
    --- BTY if someone wanted to set it up with WEP or no encryption, I would refuse to do so and they can have someone else do it but not me
    All wise choices, IMO. WEP or no encryption are just invitations for someone to use your network and the possibility of problems, so I totally agree with you.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgive me for chiming in here. i haven't read all posters' comments carefully. Just wanted to point out that if you are trying to make changes to a router's settings it is usually best to do so on a wired ethernet connection, not on a wireless connection!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-11-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes you are correct and that is what I do

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Forgive me for chiming in here. i haven't read all posters' comments carefully. Just wanted to point out that if you are trying to make changes to a router's settings it is usually best to do so on a wired ethernet connection, not on a wireless connection!
    Yep, can be tricky ^^ But that's a kind of error you only make once ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast