3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WD5000AAKX hard drive formatting problem.......

I had one of these hard drives I was using for a clone backup with Acronis True image on my Win8 pc via USB. I did a clone back up onto this HDD successfully. Then a month later I went to do an updated clone onto the same HDD and it wouldn't happen. Windows 8 saw the drive as having errors and could not do a fix. Then Windows 8 wouldn't see the drive at all. I sent it back to WD for replacement.

The new HDD came and I tried to do format it on a Windows XP pc. It would not format. I tried quick and full format and got error messages at the end of both attempts. I tried this both via a USB drive adapter and connected internally via SATA.

I then put the HDD on my Windows 8 PC via USB and it was seen by DISK MANAGEMENT. I tried to do a format but it failed and now DISK MANAGEMENT does not see the HDD at all.

Am I doing something wrong here???? I have several HDDs in the Windows 8 pc including a 1 TB drive and have had no problems formatting and using any of them. There are also multiple HDDs in the XP pc.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I'd rather not return yet another HDD to WD especially when I'm not sure if I'm somehow causing the problem.

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    I don't see anything you're doing as being destructive to the drive.
    What you need to do is be a bit more specific on that error message.

See what you can find in the Event Viewer, or use a HDD monitoring tool that can access all SMART info.

A couple of things I would try:
    Look through the event viewer on the systems they've previously resided.
    Disconnect the drive from all power and data cables and let it sit for a time. (let the power drain away)
    Install HDD monitoring tools on the systems the drives will be tested on.
    Reconnect the drives and look for them in disk management. (Do nothing to them if they are found)
    Run your HDD monitoring tool on them if found in disk manager.
    RMA if unable to get the drive to be recognized or accessed.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...nitoring+tools
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-11-12 at 14:34.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to connect the HDD internally as a secondary drive via SATA and the computer would not even boot. Windows 8 tried to do a scan and fix of the drive but hung up mid-way through the process. I've RMA'd it back to WD.

Thanks for the help.
    BH Davis