Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to add Outlook 2007 data in File History

Can anyone help me with this one? I want my emails and their folders automatically backed up, like my libraries.

I've read about how with File History you can add documents and folders to a library, or new library (and thus backed-up). But in Outlook 2007, I cannot see how to change the location of the .pst files. In messing about I just managed (under account settings, Change Folder) to create a new folder in the same location, which I now do not know how to undo.

The Outlook data files are presently in C:\users... etc. But all my libraries and documents are on my D drive.

I'm stumped!
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Thanks
    Here's a TechNet article that covers it. You may have to do some experimenting. Make sure you have a good backup.

I've moved mine in Outlook 2000 and also 2010, but I don't remember the step-by-step I used, other than that it's a bit convoluted.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-11-03 at 13:34.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am not sure if File History will be able to backup .pst files that are in use. I use another app to backup my Outlook files and to avoid that issue, what I do is run a batch file on startup that creates a copy of the .pst files in a backup folder. My backup app then backs up the copies. No conflicts, easy solution.

I can post the details on how to do this, if you think it could work for you.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Note that a library is not a physical location but a shortcut to a collection of files and/or folders. You should be able to add your pst file to an existing library or a new one. Windows 8 File Explorer does not show libraries by default. To show them, right click on a blank area of the left pane and click on libraries.

Once visible, right click on a library and select properties. Click on add and browse to your pst file to add it to the library without actually moving the pst file. Your pst file should now be backed up by File History.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2013-11-04)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I am not sure if File History will be able to backup .pst files that are in use. I use another app to backup my Outlook files and to avoid that issue, what I do is run a batch file on startup that creates a copy of the .pst files in a backup folder. My backup app then backs up the copies. No conflicts, easy solution.

I can post the details on how to do this, if you think it could work for you.
    Once added to a library, File History should be able to back it up whether it is in use or not.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Once added to a library, File History should be able to back it up whether it is in use or not.

Jerry
    I admit that may happen, Jerry, I have no experience with File History. pst files are weird beings, though, and seem more sensitive than regular files, so I am always cautious with them. I even close Outlook when creating images .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 8 File Explorer does not show libraries by default.

Bruce

Thanks
    I've created images of a drive containing an active pst file within Windows using Acronis without any problems. But if anyone has any reservations, they can certainly just close Outlook before making a manual File History backup.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ....right click on a library and select properties. Click on add and browse to your pst file to add it to the library without actually moving the pst file. Your pst file should now be backed up by File History.

Jerry
    Thanks to all for advice. Jerry, did as you suggested but File explorer refuses to show me my App data folder under Users\, where Microsoft\Outlook .pst files are.. It does show other folders.Why is that? So I am unable to add that folder (shortcut) into my library - unless I'm doing something wrong.

Any more help very welcome.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you see it and are unable to access it, or are you unable to even see it?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Can you see it and are unable to access it, or are you unable to even see it?
    Unable to even see it.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    File Explorer->View-> Options, then choose Show hidden files, folders and drives

Folderoptions.PNG
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2013-11-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Rui. That certainly showed up Appdata. That took me after trial and error deeper to local\Microsoft\Outlook where there was Outlook 'personal folders'. And following Jerry's tip, have now added that to My Documents library.

However, earlier when I was trying to change in Outlook my personal folder location, I ended up creating a new folder, where all my emails are now going - and not appearing as they had been in my Outlook folders. I want to undo that, but going (in Outlook) to file>data management> does not show up this new folder, only my personal folder (set as default) and archive folder.

I seem to have dug a hole. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Eventually sorted it - not quite sure how!
    Last edited by timsinc; 2013-11-04 at 07:58.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am not sure I understood what the problem with Outlook was, but I am glad you sorted it, Tim .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, under Outlook data management, I had foolishly created a new folder hoping to put it in My Documents for File History back-up. Of course I couldn't do that, but ended up with all my emails going to that new folder. Returning to Outlook's data management, I tried to change for my received emails to go into original folder (inbox). But it still kept showing they were going to this new folder. Then back in ordinary old Outlook, noticed way down in the menu of my many folders (family, travel, etc), noticed the new one. Deleted it there - but then all my emails were going into that folder in the deleted/trash folder!

However, after re-booting the computer, it was all back to what I wanted. That is why I said it was sorted 'somehow'. Very convoluted and probably not much help to anyone else.!
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast