Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts

First impressions with Acronis True Image 2014 Premium

As part of a Halloween promotion, I received an email inviting me to upgrade to Acronis True Image 2014 (I owned 2 TI licenses, one regular and a Family Pack, allowing installation in 3 different PCs). The price seemed interesting and I followed the link, ending up at Acronis website. A quick view allowed me to realize they were offering a new Premium version, that basically includes what before was available under the add-on pack - the possibility to restore to totally different hardware. I had no real reason to upgrade, TI 2013 has been working uneventfully, both on 7 and 8, but the price for 2014 Premium was too good to be true - 16 euros (around $20) for a Family Pack upgrade, which meant around 5 euros per license. This was an incredible price, considering the regular upgrade price is usually $39,99 - and I would be getting the Premium version, the upgrade for that one usually costing $59,99. So I took the plunge.

I have already installed TI 2014 Premium on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Everything went uneventfully. The UI is pretty much the same as in TI 2013 and the backup performance is pretty much the same, as well. So, for once, the new version seems reliable enough, with no unpleasant surprises, which is not that common with TI. 2014 seems a good, robust, as easy to use version as TI 2013, at least for my usage habits.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I received no such offer from Acronis. I am presently using Acronis True Image 2013 and Plus Pack add-on. I upgraded to 2013 from 2011, which was upgraded from 2010, all with plus pack. I would think Acronis would want it's long time customers to be ambassadors to the newer version by offering this pricing to all Avronis 2013 users. The price I see on the Acronis web site is $49.99 USD for the 3 license pack, $44.99 USD for one license.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's common for them and other vendors to offer special pricing a few times during the year, like Halloween or Black Friday. Are you registered on their website?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Oh yea, in fact all my copies were downloaded from their site and registered. I will have to check further with them. All 6 products are registered, 2010 and plus pack, 2011 and plus pack, 2013 and plus pack. Hopefully they will send me a special offer as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I usually get emails from them, but it's not that often. Probably they will run a similar promotion on Black Friday. They were running the promotion at the site, I just got emailed about it. Strange that you didn't, since you have the licenses registered.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    The closest deal that I am able to find now is a coupon that allows you to buy a TI 2014 Premium 3 Family Pack upgrade for $39.99, instead of the usual $59.99. There are a few discount coupons here, see if any of them interests you: http://www.allacronis.com/acronis-coupons.php.

You'll probably notice a link to a $70 discount on TI 2014 Premium, but if you click the link, you are just taken to the Acronis TI page, which likely means that discount is no longer available. I am guessing that's the discount I got.

Seems Acronis has a special twitter account for promotions, as well. It may be worthwhile to follow them: https://twitter.com/acroniscoupon
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Rui,

??Are you running automated differential backups with automated removal of out-of-date backup sets?? Most who are happy with Acronis seem to be diong manual b/us with manual removal.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2013-11-07 at 15:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Zig,

I do manual backups only, too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I received the same offer from Acronis, but none of the added "features" in TI 2014 were of any interest to me, so I'm continuing to make my manual backups with TI 2013 (no PlusPack ... don't need those features, either).

For those who might be interested, an outfit called User Group Relations sells both True Image and Disk Director for half the Acronis price through a marketing arrangement with Acronis. I've used their services for several years, and you do NOT have to belong to a user group to buy from them.
    Jim

Lounger
    Thanks
    I didnt get the upgrade notice, and used to. It appears that if you didnt have a registered copy of the version before the upgrade, you dont get the offer, unless the sales are really down and then Acronis marketing starts dredging up former clients.

I bailed from Acronis back after the 2012 version, went to Macrium Reflect. I only use the imaging functionality so dont really need the features offered and didnt find that an upgrade was worth the price. I do a Karen Kenworthy Replicator copy of the data from each system I have nightly to a NAS box, and that works fine for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Rui,

??Are you running automated differential backups with automated removal of out-of-date backup sets?? Most who are happy with Acronis seem to be diong manual b/us with manual removal.

Zig

Zig
    I'm using Acronis doing nightly backups automatically, and I'm happy with it. I've also helped two friends by setting it up for nightly backups as well, and we're all pleased.

Dave S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSS3rd View Post
    I received the same offer from Acronis, but none of the added "features" in TI 2014 were of any interest to me, so I'm continuing to make my manual backups with TI 2013 (no PlusPack ... don't need those features, either).

For those who might be interested, an outfit called User Group Relations sells both True Image and Disk Director for half the Acronis price through a marketing arrangement with Acronis. I've used their services for several years, and you do NOT have to belong to a user group to buy from them.
    Unfortunately this is only for new users. Those of us who are present users are trying to get the Upgrade discounts. Rui's experience was for a 3 user family pack at approx. $20 USD. This would be a great price, and it was for the premium version (formerly TIH and Plus Pack).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico
    Unfortunately this is only for new users.
    Not true, Ted. I'm a "present user", having used True Image and Disk Director for years, and my experience has been that upgrades from Acronis usually cost more than buying the new version from User Groups, e.g. $30 from Acronis vs $25 from UGR. But, I agree ... if Rui was able to get the family pack for about $20, he really got a bargain.
    Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSS3rd View Post
    Not true, Ted. I'm a "present user", having used True Image and Disk Director for years, and my experience has been that upgrades from Acronis usually cost more than buying the new version from User Groups, e.g. $30 from Acronis vs $25 from UGR. But, I agree ... if Rui was able to get the family pack for about $20, he really got a bargain.
    If you check post #6, the page I linked still lists a coupon offering a $70 discount on 2014 Premium Family Pack. Unfortunately, it seems it is no longer valid.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Whenever I have upgraded, from 2010 to 2011 to 2013, The upgrade has been substantially lower than buying a new version from scratch. I have never used this site. Perhaps that is the difference. I am just unhappy that all present users were not given the same offers. All my previous versions (all of which I still have) included the Plus Pack.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast