Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 New Install Crossroads Blues

Hi,

I understand this is a broad question. Sorry in advance for the windiness.

I have a machine that still runs XP (don't laugh) which I use for web development. I got one of the $30 Win8 licenses last year. I (finally) want to ditch the XP machine and move all my stuff over to a new machine running Win8 -and- Ubuntu.

I just built a new Asus Z78/4770k machine with a 240gb SSD. I figured I'd install Win8... update to 8.1 and then install Ubuntu on the 2nd partition of the SSD.

So... I got Win8 installed. I gotta say, it was surprisingly painful. In the past, all my Win7 machines installed flawlessly and I figured the bad ol' days of 'upgrade fear' were gone. Nope. A bit of BIOS weirdness and I ended up having to install Win 3 times before it completed successfully. Since then? No problem.

Now... I then tried to update to 8.1 and it's no go.
    a) I updated from 'the store' and it seemed to finish, but then after re-starting I am informed that the update could not complete and the PC is restored to 8.0. I then tried to 'manually' install using the Paul Thurrott method from is 'supersite' and when the app starts, after entering the Product Key, I am told 'Cannot Connect to Internet'. (Despite the fact that I just connected to the internet to get to the store.) I won't go through all the gory details because it clearly is happening to lots of people.

So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Should I just hold off until MS has a definitive 'fix' for updating to 8.1 or should I keep going? IOW: I have no programs installed, nor Ubuntu. Should I proceed with 8.0, installing Adobe CS, all my other stuff, set up Ubuntu, confident that I'll be able to update to 8.1 'in-place'?

2. Is there anything in 8.1 that's a 'must have' in terms of security? IOW: can I safely work in 8.0 or are there changes in 8.1 that are necessary to avoid malware?

Again, sorry for the length. Ironically, my XP machine is in many ways the most critical. I need more speed, but I don't want to move everything to Win8 until the whole thing is reliable. One reason I've stuck with this XP install for so long is that it's been 100% (no exaggeration) reliable for---ehver.

TIA,

---JC

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    If you really need the work machine, I would say proceed with a 8.0 install and wait until Microsoft sorts out 8.1 setup. I am not aware of 8.1 being significantly different from 8.0, security wise.

I do web development, as well. Did it in 8, doing it in 8.1, no issues at all. I am a developer and I work with Microsoft stuff, that is Visual Studio, SQL Server.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'm wondering if part of the problem is the fact that you installed Win 8 on a new PC using a Win 8 Upgrade media. The $30, or was it $40, I forget, media was for an upgrade from a qualifying OS (XP, Vista or Win 7) to Win 8. The problem may be an activation issue with the Win 8 install since it was installed on an empty HD rather than a HD that contained the aforementioned qualifying OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    There have been a number of upgrade issues reported. You must ensure that the 8.0 install is up-to-date with patches. You must have the most current drivers installed. Do you have any more details about the error? Have you looked for an installation log file?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got 8.1 to work! Woo Hoo!

See my post #31 here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-install/page3

Installed Ubuntu 13 alongside (WOW, Linux distros have gotten SUPER user-friendly!)

Aside from the fact that the whole lack of Start button is a drag, very cool!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    SunTower,

For $3 you can get StartIsBack and no more drag! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You can get Classic Shell for free. With these Start Menu replacements you can disable the hot corners (Charms, etc) on the Desktop and boot directly to the Desktop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy