Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I use Last Pass Pro on my Android phone as well. I also have used Last Pass for many years with no problems. I love it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, there seems to be one significant negative for me. I run a number of websites from one server using subdomains - i.e. site1.domain.com, site2.domain.com etc. I use the same management username on each, but different passwords. When in the past I used Firefox or Chrome to manage my passwords I automatically got the appropriate combinations for each. Using LastPass I have to choose from a long list every time. It seems to key on username, password and domain, not subdomain. I get a similar issue with some commercial sites. I guess there's a reason for that behaviour, but it is a PIA for me.

Otherwise I won't know whether it is any good until someone hacks me, then I'll know it isn't. Until then it seems needlessly clunky in some areas.

Thanks
    I'm not sure precisely what you're saying here - perhaps a screenshot to see what's going on would help. I say this because when you edit any site, one of the fields is 'Name'. You can change this to whatever you want (default is the URL - which includes the subdomain). So you just click on the relevant one. Note that you can also create groups, so you could have one called domain.com, with the names just being site1, site2 etc. Or have I missed something here? Perhaps it goes to site100?!?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I agree, the algorithm for site matching could be better. I see it as a minor quirk, though.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a paid membership to Last Pass. it's hit and miss.

I love that I have all of my passwords synced across several laptops. Creating "form fills" is perfect for saving credit card info and easily entering on sites. I highly recommend it to readers here - but I'd be hesitant to recommend it to my family and other people that are tech challenged. I have work arounds to some of the quirks and realize the importance of strong passwords. It isn't truly seamless and I can see it frustrating people that don't want to use secure passwords to begin with.

Quirk 1: I generally verify sites are saved correctly after I have it generate a password. Sometimes it will save that password as the user name and password. Sometimes the user name isn't filled in. Other times, it just saves it under "Password generated for xxxxx site" without the user name.
    Quirk 2: I've always have trouble when I update or change passwords on site. Again, I always manually verify.
    Quirk 3: It works on 98% percent of sites. I always have trouble logging in to dell.com and freightquote.com (happens in Firefox and IE).
    Quirk 4: Some site won't save no matter what. I manually save them - I get prompts to "install the toolbar to avoid this", even though it did work.
    Quirk 5: I paid for "iPhone compatibility" but it's not. It's an app that I can copy and paste the user name and password. It doesn't integrate into the browser or other apps. I purposely don't have my LastPass password saved for security reasons. It's really no better than just logging into the website.
    Quirk 6: I generally verify when I use the "form fill" for addresses and other info. Sometimes it does weird things

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used it for a couple of years, but after the security breach in mid 2011, I lost confidence and dropped it.

Once bitten, twice shy for me.

Thanks
    It seems everyone gets a security breach at some point in time. I'm hard pressed to name even one site that has not. If you never go back to a site that has had a breach and fixed it, thus making the site more secure, you might eventually run out of sites to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    It seems everyone gets a security breach at some point in time. I'm hard pressed to name even one site that has not. If you never go back to a site that has had a breach and fixed it, thus making the site more secure, you might eventually run out of sites to use.
    Seems like a rather blasé attitude to me... However, I was specifically referring to sites which store vital data (for example, passwords to financial institutions)on their servers, like LastPass.

As a consequence of their data breach, I took the decision to only store passwords locally on my own computers, rather than in the "cloud".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Seems like a rather blasé attitude to me... However, I was specifically referring to sites which store vital data (for example, passwords to financial institutions)on their servers, like LastPass.

As a consequence of their data breach, I took the decision to only store passwords locally on my own computers, rather than in the "cloud".
    To be fair to LastPass, there was never a confirmation that there was indeed a breach and, to my knowledge, no users ever complained that they had been hacked as a result of the incident. To LastPass's credit, as well, they went public about the event, even without clear confirmation that there was a breach. IMHO, they have acted as everyone else should, informed their users even if the information available (no confirmation of the breach's existence) could have advised otherwise - transparency is not really a common quality from corporations big and small. I would also think the fact that there were no confirmed cases of actual users having their passwords compromised, validates, in a way, their choices for user information storage and encryption.
    I am writing this even considering I only became a LastPass customer in January 2013. I will also that admit that, had the breach been confirmed and user data actually compromised, I wouldn't have become their customer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    To be fair to LastPass, there was never a confirmation that there was indeed a breach and, to my knowledge, no users ever complained that they had been hacked as a result of the incident. To LastPass's credit, as well, they went public about the event, even without clear confirmation that there was a breach. IMHO, they have acted as everyone else should, informed their users even if the information available (no confirmation of the breach's existence) could have advised otherwise - transparency is not really a common quality from corporations big and small. I would also think the fact that there were no confirmed cases of actual users having their passwords compromised, validates, in a way, their choices for user information storage and encryption.
    I am writing this even considering I only became a LastPass customer in January 2013. I will also that admit that, had the breach been confirmed and user data actually compromised, I wouldn't have become their customer.
    Fair enough, but I also remember being told by LastPass to change my password, which proved to be a problem due to their systems being unable to cope with the volume.
    All this unnerved me and made me go elsewhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Fair enough, but I also remember being told by LastPass to change my password, which proved to be a problem due to their systems being unable to cope with the volume.
    All this unnerved me and made me go elsewhere.
    The request to change passwords was a part of their "play safe" strategy, to minimize any consequences to their users, in my opinion.
    That said, I understand your decision, it's perfectly reasonable .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the end it comes down to convenience vs. security. The ultimate convenience is using the same easily-remembered password for every website you visit. Sadly, that's insecure so we look for better options. If i think up a different "secure" password for every site (not particularly easy or convenient) and store them locally on my computer then how do i use those passwords when i'm on a computer in another room or even on vacation with my laptop? Not convenient. i could keep all the passwords on a USB flashdrive but then i must remember to take the flashdrive with me each time i leave that computer and plug it into a different computer - again, not so convenient , especially if i forget to bring the flashdrive. What if i lose the flashdrive while on vacation - well now it's not convenient and definitely not secure. These are all considerations that eventually led me to choosing a password manager that suits varied patterns of use. If i ever go back to using only one computer in one location then i just might go back to keeping all my passwords on a piece of paper in the desk drawer; until then, it's LastPass or some other online password service!

Thanks
    I was one of those that was advised by LastPass that I should change my password even though no one had reported a hack in their systems or passwords, and I was able to easily change the PW. I have been using LastPass successfully and securely for many years, and will continue to do so with complete confidence.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb:

3 days to reply, and I can't show a screenshot. All because just after I sent my post, LastPass 3.0 arrived and broke everything for me. The new in-field formfill icon feature seems to dislike my site's forms intensely. After the form starts to load I get several seconds of Firefox not responding before I eventually see my form, then a few more seconds before I can type into fields. So I've had to disable all LastPass's form filling features and that also stopped it auto-filling usernames and passwords. But thanks for your interest!

But I can now auto login to my sites with specific usernames using the "sites" feature from the LastPass toolbar button. That may save the system from the scrapheap, especially as I used to use the discontinued (thanks Google!!!!) iGoogle bookmark app and am currently lacking a good bookmark manager.

If I can track down what LastPass is doing to my (simple HTML) forms, I'll send them a bug report, but until then...

Ian.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i keep seeing messages declaring "LastPass 3.0 is here!", but the rest of the message reads as though it's only the premium/pay version so i've left it alone. Did you have to pay for LastPass 3.0? If it's buggy, can you uninstall then re-install Firefox browser?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast