Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Opinions of Last Pass?

I'm looking at switching out my Steganos Password manager and going with Last Pass, mainly because it syncs across my laptop, Windows Phone and My Surface RT.
    Down and dirty folks those of you that are using last pass what is your valued opinion. Is this the way to go?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I use LastPass on all my devices. You will need to get the paid version ($1/month), to use it on Windows Phone. I can't compare it with anything else, since it's the only password manager I use. It works satisfactorily. There could be a couple improvements in terms of user interface, but other than that I am happy with it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use RoboForm on my desktop and Lastpass on my Laptop. I've been happy with both. You need to use the paid version of RoboForm for more than a few passwords (10?)

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Coincidentally, seems a version 3.0 of LastPass is now available: http://blog.lastpass.com/2013/11/las...esign-new.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up Rui. Lastpass told me I was up to date at 2.xxx. Downloaded version 3 and it installed into IE 11 and Chrome without a hitch.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Rui. Lastpass told me I was up to date at 2.xxx. Downloaded version 3 and it installed into IE 11 and Chrome without a hitch.

Jerry
    You're welcome, Jerry . I found it as they are on my twitter feed.

This one is prettier and seems to work with the Lounge control panel . No more copying and pasting here .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a couple of other password managers before settling on LastPass. Been using it maybe 2 years & have been generally happy with it. Just wish they didn't require the paid version for mobile.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used it for a couple of years and it works fine for me. I especially like the mobile aspects of it and the price for mobile use is reasonable. It is very convenient to have access to your passwords across all your devices. I feel it is very secure. I believe, your master password is not stored on their servers so you don't have to worry about their servers being breached and all your data (passwords) are encrypted before it leaves your machine. Steve Gibson, internet security guru, thinks highly of it and says they do it right. Here's a discussion by Steve: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm
    Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use it exclusively and love it.
    I did just now run into one little hitch: I haven't been to the Lounge in a while to do other than read, and when LastPass tried to log me in it bombed (all I had done was to click a link to a screenshot posted elsewhere in another section and it wanted me to log in to see it). I discovered that LastPass had not saved the username, only the password, and I couldn't remember which screen name I had here and nearly got locked out. I finally remembered on the 3rd try but for some reason the combo still didn't work, so I went through the password reset routine and reset the new generated pass back to my member number. Again, LastPass did not save the username so I had to save it manually to get it to remember. The upshot is, if you say "yes" when it asks to save a site's login, open LastPass and be sure it saved everything you want it to remember. I have run into this 2 or 3 times, mostly with banking stuff. Otherwise LastPass is great IMO! I rarely use my tablet so haven't paid for the mobile access plan and don't know how well that functions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Horrabin For This Useful Post:

tinktania (2013-11-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    These are the important features for me:

- Several options for Multifactor Authentication: YubiKey, Google Authenticator, Toopher, Duo Security, Transakt, & Grid Authentication.
    - Mobile device restrictions to specific UUIDs.
    - The LastPass Security Challenge to find duplicate and weak passwords.

Joel

Lounger
    Thanks
    Extremely happy, feature rich, LastPass user for the last 3-4 years... It rules my life! The $12 per year is quite a small price to pay for what I believe to be a near perfect Password manger system. (it also automatically fills in forms among other capabilities)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have used LastPass for years with excellent results. However, UI on latest version is radically different, not intuitively obvious, and seems to get in the way too often.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using LastPass free version for several months on two desktop PCs and one laptop.

PROS:
    All saved passwords are available on all 3 computers all the time (assuming the internet connection is working, of course).

In the past i used the same password for many unimportant websites. LastPass occasionally says " we notice you've used this password elsewhere. would you like to generate a new unique password for this website?"

For every saved password there's an "Edit" option with a comments box where you can make notes about the website, the password or anything else you deem relevant. Also you can edit the entire entry.

It's free.

CONS:
    LastPass "Vault" lists all websites and passwords you have saved. The list is arranged alphabetically. Sometimes this is confusing because, for example, "Comcast.net" may be listed under "login.comcast.net" . You can edit the website name manually if you wish, so it's not all bad!

The mobile version of LastPass for a cellphone costs money. If you need to "sync" all your passwords onto your cellphone, be ready to spend a little money.

OTHER:
    LastPass free version is definitely worth having and, if you frequently use the internet on your phone or tablet, it's probably worth paying for.

i still don't entrust my username or password for bank and credit card websites to LastPass; prefer to memorize them. However, if i had more than those two sensitive websites then i'd surely need to have them saved somewhere.
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2013-11-07 at 15:03.

Thanks
    My problem is, that I suppose like many others I'm running one password manager on my laptop, a different one on my Windows Phone, and now a third on my Surface. I would love to keep using the one on my Laptop (Steganos Password Manager) because I've been using it for a long time and am familiar with the way it works. Problem though is that even thought the windows Phone is now the fastest selling phone in Europe, (Steganos is in Germany) they still aren't making an app.
    Sooooooo I need to re group and try and get everything the same. The one I'm using on my phone, but doesn't offer any back up and that's a total P.I.T.A.! I don't mind paying for their software if it does what they say. I'm running it now on my Surface and will try it for a month or so.

thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    LastPass will allow access to your passwords in your Windows Phone, John. I use it there. There is no browser integration, though, you just need to do some app switching and copying and pasting, but it works decently.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast