New Lounger
    Thanks

windows 8 admin functions won't work

I'm having a problems with my Windows 8 system that I hope someone here has some insight to help me resolve it. I have an HP workstation that froze on my last weekend while watching a dvd. I thought it might have been a smudge on the disk. So, I waited a few minutes - nothing changed. I tried to alt-tab to another application. That did not work. I tried to eject the disk. That did not grant control of the OS. I tried ctrl-alt-del. That didn't work. Nothing was giving me control of the system. So, I had to power off and than start up again. After doing that and logging in, the HP support assistant prompted me that I need to check the filesystem with a reboot. I did that. After that finished, I logged in and then started noticing problems. It boils down to anything that requires administrative privilege is failing. For example, if I try to install an application, I get a pop-up that states: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I get the same message trying to open the event viewer. If I try to create a new account, clicking on the link just doesn't do anything. I can't do anything that requires an administrative privilege. I contacted HP and their response was to reset to factory default. I'd rather not if I don't have to. So, I was hoping someone might have some thoughts? I can't seem to find anything relevant in the Internet search indexes.

Regards,

Brad

Thanks
    Try the following, to clear your administrator password:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post904649

Once you have cleared the administrator password, log in as the administrator and then set a password.

Then log out, and log in with the normal account.

From that point forward, it should popup and ask you for the administrator password whenever you do something requiring administrator access.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I can login with the admin account just fine. The problem is that none of the admin functions work. I've been backing up all my files in preparation to restore to factory default. I'd rather not do that, but at this point, not sure what else to try.

Thanks!