New Lounger
    Thanks

Help remove invalid paths and help files from registry

Hi I am a complete newbie to 'registry' cleaning etc. My laptops been running really slow so after using a registry cleaner (Wise registry cleaner), I am unable to fix a couple of problems that my registry cleaner is picking up everyday. The registry cleaner even says after a clean (unable to remove 1 file) etc. And when i opened the 'containing folder' i had no idea what to do, i tried deleting the actual item in the registry editor and it won't let me and i have no idea what I'm doing.

Please please can someone advise me as to what I should do as I don't have a clue how to rid these recurring registry problems?????

Thank you kindly

Administrator
    Thanks
    My advice is don't worry so about registry cleaning. Tell us more about the system.
    What make & model?
    What operating system? What service pack? Up-to-date with patches?
    How much RAM?
    What size disk and how much free?
    By "slow", do you mean slow to boot? Slow during normal operation?
    What applications do you normally have running?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-10-31)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Early in the game try CTRL-ALT-DEL/Start Task Manager/Performance to watch what is going on over time (during boot), and Resource Monitor at the bottom of that screen to see what is going on in more detail during another boot. Other tabs in Windows Task Manager, notably Processes (sorted on Memory), will show you where your resources are going and what is running or not running at a given time. In other words, you can spot the resource hogs after things have settled down, and if you are really sharp, you can figure out things that should be running but aren't (but good luck with that one).

Thanks
    A PC cleaning seems to go farther in speeding up a PC than a registry cleaning. Generally I only clean the registry when I have uninstalled an app and I look for left over entries.

After supplying the info requested above, take a look at how much stuff is starting with windows and is thus running in the background. If your PC is short on resources to start with then all this stuff running in the background can slow it down. Us an app such as What's In Startup or Autoruns for Windows. Generally the vast majority of those items starting with Windows do not need to be running in the background.

I would also do a system (disk) cleanup. I use a batch file that includes the MS Disk Cleanup app on steroids for this chore.

Just copy the info here and paste it into Notepad, then save it as a .bat file to your desktop. Now just run the batch file by clicking it'

Code:
    @Echo off
    cls
    cleanmgr /sageset:1000
    del /F /S /Q  "%systemroot%\temp\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*

::Rem:  No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q "C:\$Recycle.Bin.Bin\*.*" 

del /F /S /Q "C:\Recycled\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:1000
    Please note: The Sageset command only need to be run once to set the Disk Cleanup to it's aggressive cleanup setting. After running the batch file once simple open it in Notepad again and delete the one line, cleanmgr /sageset:1000 (leave the Sagerun at the end as you do want to run it.)

The batch file as shown works for Win 7 and Win 8. Some adjustments to file paths might be necessary for XP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-10-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, thanks for your response. I'm not very technically gifted but will attempt to answer your questions correctly.
    My laptop is an Acer Aspire One, operating windows 7,I don't know what a service pack is though nor patches?? I have 2gb ram, HDD is 320gb. It's a bit slow to boot up but mainly the problem is streaming youtube videos. It used to work perfectly fine until this new problem being detected by the reg.cleaner
    Can i ask what an application is please?..thanks

LadyA

Administrator
    Thanks
    You are doing just fine. An application is a program. What programs do you normally have running when the problem occurs?

What is the issue with streaming videos? From any particular website?

You can tell information about the system by clicking the Start button, then right clicking "Computer" in the right panel of the start menu, clicking "Properties". At the top of the Properties window you'll see the Windows edition. If service pack one is installed it will say so there.

How do you have Windows Update configured? Do the Microsoft monthly patches get installed automatically?

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-10-31)

Thanks
    An application is a program you have downloaded or came resident with Windows. For example, MS Word is an application, or app for short. Wise registry cleaner is an app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-10-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm back guys. Sorry was AFK all day. Um ok, I have service pack 1 (win7x64).
    Re my applications, here is a list (but the slowness happens when using google chrome to watch youtube vids).
    Malwarebytes, AVG 2014 free trial, Wisecare Registry Cleaner, Wise Care 365, Google Chrome.
    The pre-installed apps are: Internet Explorer/Netflix/skype/Acer Buy online, Acer Registration. I did actually reset my laptop to factory settings last week but prior to that I had Bitcomet, spotify and a couple of apps like that.

I don't know if this is of any relevance, but the error/file picked up by wise reg. cleaner that keep recurring are as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_Software\Wow6432Node\AVG\Avg201 4\LinkScanner\LocalIcons(C:\ProgramFiles(x86)AVG\A VG2014\Icons

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\(Default )

and now there's a 3rd one..but i'm really stupid so I forgot to write the 3rd one down but will write it down next time i use the wise care regitry cleaner.

and i have looked at the performance thing and it says there are 45 processes.Threads=719, Handles=15910, CPU=2%, Physical memory 30% No applications running apart from google chrome which im using right now to be on this site.

Performance says. Physical memory (MB)= Total-3817, Cached 2440, Available 2645, Free 254 ( i literally dont know what the hell this means), also it says 'Kernel memory(MB), Paged=154, Notpaged=43.

When i checked the 'Resource monitor' there was alot to write down and it all kept moving around, so how can I take a screen shot of that 'resource monitor' part?

You guys are really awsome for being so helpful, thank you bigtime and bless

LadyA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. It seems my system picks up the problems, everytime I go online using chrome for youtube and facebook and hotmail

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I would strongly advise you to dump anything that promises to speed your PC, here the focus being on Wise Care 365. I have written multiple times here, tools that claim to clean and speed up your PC and the contemporary equivalent of snake oil. I would start there, dump that and then check how the system performs. Seriously.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-11-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I second what Rui posted about Wise Care. On a modern PC there is no need to run a PC "speedup" tool. There is no need to run a registry cleaner unless you have good reason to suspect a problem and you have exhausted all other remedies. Your PC does not seem particularly stressed by anything. What kind of internet service do you have? Who is your provider? Is your PC connected wired or wireless?

Joe

Thanks
    You will also quite often see these type apps advertised on TV as speeding up your PC. DON'T BELIEVE IT! In point of fact they usually slow things down until the unsuspecting buy them, then they just stop their own apps from slowing you down.

The tips listed above will be far better at improving your speed, especially corralling the number of apps running in the background. Your PC does not have an overabundance of RAM memory (this is the memory Windows uses to do it's work). 2 GB of Ram is the bare minimum (almost) for Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-11-09)

Thanks
    Registry cleaning should be reserved for professionals only, as it's a good way to destroy your computer. (well, at least the OS)
    [it's so dangerous, that on some forums it's a forbidden topic]

There is one registry cleaner that is highly touted, that has destroyed my OS twice. Never Again!!!

If you use an uninstaller program like "Revo Uninstaller" to get rid of unwanted programs, it will offer to also remove all the Registry Entries related to that program. That's the best way I know of to keep the junk out of the registry.

I do have a couple of very reliable registry cleaning programs that I use in my own Computer Business, but I'm a professional and know how to use them safely. NO Beginner should ever mess around with their registry. There are too many other ways to improve operational efficiency. As a start, get rid of all the Temp files on the Hard drive. Very few programs get them all.
    One little program, sent to me recently, does a fabulous job of temp file cleaning.
    <Mod. edit>Link deleted, please link to the software Home page or a trustworthy download site in future.

This is a compressed .rar file, because it's not just the program itself, but an installer batch file and a desktop shortcut.
    If the installer doesn't work for you, and on certain PC's it won't, then just copy the .exe file to your desktop and run from there.

It only deletes Temp files and little else, so it's very safe, and since it's written in machine language, it runs VERY fast.
    The little report at the end of cleaning, as to how many megabytes it removed, only stays on the screen a very short time, so look fast!

I ran this program on a friend's four year old HP desktop last week and it removed 36GB of junk!
    A clean machine is a happy machine!

Getting your PC clean and free of unneeded programs running in the background, is the best place to start, to improve system performance.

Apparently, Medico and I agree on the use of a Cleanup batch file to get rid of the crap that builds up daily in every PC.

That's something else, that I instal for all my customers.

Be clean, be safe, be Happy!

The Doctor
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-11-02 at 18:04.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-11-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If streaming videos is your only problem then your computer may be fine.

When you stream video, you are downloading a signal from the internet and displaying it on your screen. If your download speed is too slow, or if there are any bad connections between the receiver and the computer, or for that matter inside the computer either as hardware or a driver, then the signal that is being supplied can’t keep up with the speed at which it is supposed to be displayed. Additionally, some servers may not be fast enough to feed the data you are trying to receive.

‘Bandwidth’ is the term that is applied to the overall capacity to transfer data, but you should check all your connections before paying your provider for more of it. (Caution: bandwidth has more than one meaning. 'Throughput' is sometimes used, but it also has at least one other meaning.)

If you look at a video (with or without problems) you will see a line at the bottom with an arrow or dot that moves across the screen as the video plays. If you look carefully at one that is performing properly, you will also notice a fainter line that moves ahead of the arrow. That line represents the portion of the video that has already been downloaded and has yet to play. It is in storage in what is called a buffer, and so long as you have enough data in the buffer early in the game, you should be fine.

To the left of the line is a pair of vertical lines that is a symbol for ‘pause’, and it may or may not work to simply pause what is going on to let the buffer accumulate some data (but it doesn’t seem to work for me). A cruder trick is to let it start, then grab the arrow and haul it back to the start and watch the line to see if some data accumulates in the buffer, and then let go. There are a number of free YouTube video downloaders available, which might simplify everything.

The little square thing in the lower right corner will give you a full-screen display of the video. Most will be poor resolution, but it’s worth checking, as higher resolutions are increasingly available: How to use a Nikon D90 is one example.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2013-11-03 at 06:07. Reason: Added information

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

LadyAslan (2013-11-09)