5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Booting from an external HD

I have an older Dell 4600 desktop, running W7 SP1. I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect, and have installed Macrium's WinPE add-on. I regularly take images, alternating between an internal HD, and an external LaCie HD.

What do I have to do so that I could boot from the LaCie if I needed to so that I could access the latest image if I had to?

Maybe this is part of the same question, but when I look at my bios I don't see any entry in the boot-order for what I assume would be for a usb device.

Bottom-line, I need all the help I can get in this area, which would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dick

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Is the external HD bootable? If you aren't cloning your disk, likely it is not.

It seems to me that the easy way to access the latest image would be to boot from the Macrium boot disk, which surely will find your external HD and will let you choose one image of those stored there.

I think RetiredGeek 'geeked' a way to have the external disk bootable, as well. I am sure he will chime in with the results of his experience.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-11-04)

Thanks
    Hey Dick,

I can't let Rui down so here's the link to the thread where I "geeked it". HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-11-04),ruirib (2013-11-04)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I have an older Dell 4600 desktop, running W7 SP1. I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect, and have installed Macrium's WinPE add-on. I regularly take images, alternating between an internal HD, and an external LaCie HD.

What do I have to do so that I could boot from the LaCie if I needed to so that I could access the latest image if I had to?

Maybe this is part of the same question, but when I look at my bios I don't see any entry in the boot-order for what I assume would be for a usb device.

Bottom-line, I need all the help I can get in this area, which would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dick
    Sometimes, we're stuck....with what a motherboard was designed and built to do. Some will boot from a USB device and Some Won't.
    If not, there's not a heck of a lot you can do about it, except get a different computer. Preferably, NOT a Dell.

Good LUCK!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think RG found out and posted somewhere as well that the USB boot partition for use with Win 8 must be FAT 32 and no greater than 4 Gigs; that NTFS format did not work, so adhere strictly to the first part of number 3 and you should be fine for any Windows OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG's "Geeked-it" post worked for me, with one change necessary on my part. I have Macrium, the paid version, and that probably has no bearing on the following. When I set my external drive partition as Fat32, Macrium didn't like that, so I changed it to NTFS and all went well thereafter.

Thanks to RG especially, and all others who responded. I'm all set now.

Dick

PS,
    To forestall the suggestion . . . I tested what I set up, and it worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    PS,
    To forestall the suggestion . . . I tested what I set up, and it worked.
    You have become an expert doing these things, Dick .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Standing on the shoulders of (expert) Giants . . .

Dick