New Lounger
    Thanks

Access to Adobe PDF (Access 2000)

I need to print an access report to adobe pdf and am wondering if there is anyway to have bookmarks automatically created like you can when outputting from word to pdf....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Adobe PDF (Access 2000)

I've also got an interest in this problem--unfortunately no solution. Will two votes attract more interest?

My Access report is a large document that requires a table of contents. When the table of contents gets inserted before the report, the Access report page numbers don't correspond to the .pdf page numbers. I'd rather use bookmarks created with the pdf file; page numbering is then unambiguous and navigation is easy.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have this same problem. I know this is old but I was wondering if a solution has been found yet?

New Lounger
    Thanks

The post may be old, but the problem is just as "new" as it was a year ago. I haven't run across a solution yet (haven't been active on it lately), but I'm also still interested.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know of an elegant solution (elegant being a simple click the button and watch it happen), but there are a couple of alternatives.

The first would be to export your report to an RTF file and then pull that into Word. Then you can create the bookmarks and whatnot to do a proper Table of Contents. Of course this involves a fair bit of manual fiddling and effort. The other complication is that RTF format doesn't really replicate the Access report if it has any complex layout issues, or any graphics.

The other alternative would be to use Automation and actually build your report in Word, but driving it from Access. This approach can get into fairly complex code (VBA), but if you understand the Word Object Model fairly well, it shouldn't be too bad. The beauty of this approach is that you can create the bookmarks and the TOC in code so the manual fiddling is virtually non-existent. You also don't have the issues with RTF conversion of Access reports that are at an approximation. We use this approach on a couple of different projects, and have found it to work pretty well, but you need to be able to justify the coding effort up front.

Maybe these options will give you a glimmer of hope.
    Wendell

Thanks

Check out the bookmark tutorial describing the bookmark feature of pdfFactory Pro ($100) at FinePrint.com. I'm not sure it would work with Access, but there's a free evaluation download. Anyone want to give it a shot?

BTW, I use the non-Pro version, and I really like how you can collect multiple print jobs together in the pdfFactory viewer/window, and then save them as a single file (much easier than importing them individually into a new Acrobat document).