New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Group By Date Issue

I usually view my folders in Windows 7 using Group By Date Modified so that all of my recently used files and folders are grouped together on top. I have a few folders that for some reason never move up. Even though there are files within those folders that were edited today, the folder shows up in the list under "a long time ago". Has anyone had this issue?

(side question, I was trying to search this forum, is there a way to search only within a part of the forum, the main search function on the top right seems to search everything)

Thanks
    As a test, open a command prompt, and go to one of these folders.

Type the following command at the system prompt: dir /ad /od /p <ENTER>

This command will give you a listing of the contents of the folder, showing only the folders, showing them in date order, pausing after each screen.

I'd be curious to see if the folders in question appear in the correct chronological order in this listing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

JoStar (2013-11-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting. They actually don't. Most of the folders are dated June 2012 even though I have added/edited stuff inside them recently.
    The most recently dated folder is 10/10/13 which I think is when I created that folder.

I think the problem is that the folder in question is a FAT32 flash drive.
    I noticed that my local NTFS folders don't do this as often.

Thanks
    I believe that FAT32 vs NTFS is your answer. Here are my thoughts:

My first thought is that FAT32 treats the date issues differently than does NTFS. That would explain why the flash drive contents are treated differently than are the contents of other folders. In other words, you're following FAT32 rules for the flash drive folders.

My second thought is that Windows 7 treats the date issues differently than does DOS. When you do the listing via the Command Prompt window, you're following the DOS rules; when you view the folders in Windows 7, you're following the Windows 7 / FAT32 rules. That would explain why the display is yet again different.

Another interesting test would be to rename one of these problem folders, then rename it back to the previous name. You will have then modified the folder itself. I wonder if it would then move up in the list.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually tried that, I renamed the folder and then ran the command again. The date stayed the same.

What sometimes helps is I add a new text document inside the folder.
    This seems to change the date but only on the NTFS systems, on the FAT32 flash drive it doesn't help so I guess the folders are stuck with the date they were created.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This pretty much sums it up:
    http://portableapps.com/node/15257#comment-159366

It says that adding new files to a FAT32 folder "may" change the date. I wonder if there is a way to force that "may" to "will"

Thanks
    The site you linked to has very thorough and helpful information.

You can bet that those who posted the info are very familiar with the issues they commented on.

Perhaps using NTFS on your flash drive would resolve the issue for you. The newest posting on that site explains that in NTFS, there are four types of dates:
    http://portableapps.com/node/15257#comment-159394

The four types of available dates will probably give you a way to solve this issue.