Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to upgrade Win8 but "Setup has failed to validate the product key"

Hi guys. Back again.

As you probably deduced from the title, I'm trying to upgrade my OS to 8.1.

I have no product key. But the instructions I followed told me it was unnecessary in order to upgrade. I have Win 8 64 bits and I'm installing from a thumbdrive, to which I downloaded 8.1.

I follow instructions to create a small textfile called 'ei.cfg' in the 'sources' subdirectory. I didn't see any clarification about where I should put this file, on the thumbdrive or on the hard drive. So I put the file in both places.

I kick off the upgrade by clicking on the setup.exe file. A few things take place that seem routine and then I get to the point where 'setup' is getting going and I am halted.

The instructions I'vr been following (I think the search for instructions led me to Paul Thurott's website) aren't helping.

Do you guys have any ideas how I can get this done. I know you're the most capable guys I have run across (egregious brownnosing) so let me know if you'd be so kind.

Jack Lavelle -

laeva65@gmail.com

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome back Jack. Have you tried to just go to the App Store and downloading Win 8.1 there rather than using a method to create an ISO file install disk (I assume this is what you are doing).

If Win 8.1 tile does not show up in the App Store, then one of the required updates has not yet been applied.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    The Doctor's diagnosis is spot on!

Rather than thinking too much, I did the simple thing and followed Medico's instructions:
    - perform all Win 8 upgrades
    - disengage AntiVirus
    - go to Windows store and

Install 8.1. Everything worked cool as the other side of the pillow. Thank you.