Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why won't Windows 8.1 install?

I have 3 computers, all running Windows 8 with no problems. When I try to download and install Windows 8.1 from the Store the green download bar goes to about the half way point (50%) then very briefly flashes "installing" then immediately jumps back to the beginning and starts downloading again. This procedure repeats over and over until stopped manually. On one try I let it run for 6 hours and it ran the same download a dozen times but would never install. This happens on all 3 computers so I believe there must be a bug in Microsoft's download/install process. I have tried creating a Windows 8.1 ISO file to burn an installation DVD as described in this forum but eventually it asks for an installation key. None of my Windows 8 keys will work and of course I don't have an 8.1 key as 8.1 is supposed to be a free download from the Store. In one of the log files in the C:\Windows\Software Distribution folder I saw something about an installation failure due to error: 0x8024200d but this means nothing to me and Google is not much help. I don't see how all 3 computers could fail the installation. This is getting to be very frustrating. I hope someone has the answer.

Thanks,
    Jarome

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The 8.1 Key rejection issue
    On some systems, and this was the case with mine, I needed a dummy key in order to proceed in creating an ISO.
    This tutorial worked for me: http://www.tweakhound.com/2013/10/21...l-windows-8-1/

Failure to upgrade to 8.1
    There can be a number of reasons for upgrade failures. It can be anything from a previous OS corruption to
    physical hardware issues with the motherboard and or processor type.

Read through the Windows 8 forum here for "upgrade/install" failures for more info and potential work-arounds.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT. I got the 8.1 dummy key where you suggested and it worked fine and finally got 8.1 installed but had to use the original 8 key to activate 8.1. It worked fine and now I am running 8.1 but ran into another problem: When 8.1 starts my monitor screen goes blank. Had to change from HDMI to VGA to get a display. Looks like 8.1 will not support HDMI. I tried to update my Intel video driver but Device Manager said I had the latest driver. [/I]Have you heard of this problem?

Thanks again,
    Jarome

Thanks
    Jarome,

I don't think it is a Window 8.1 problem. I running dual monitors on 8.1 Pro. The main monitor is HDMI and the secondary monitor is DVI. I'd guess you problem is with your Video card/driver. In stead of relying on Windows Update go directly to your card manufactures site and look for drivers there. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jarome,

I don't think it is a Window 8.1 problem. I running dual monitors on 8.1 Pro. The main monitor is HDMI and the secondary monitor is DVI. I'd guess you problem is with your Video card/driver. In stead of relying on Windows Update go directly to your card manufactures site and look for drivers there. HTH
    I concur with RetiredGeek - it's a driver issue. I am typing this on my laptop running 8.1, while viewing the thread on an external monitor connected through HDMI.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the latest video driver from the Intel download site, but it made no difference. I think the HDMI port is working because I can see everything on the monitor until Windows 8.1 starts to load then the screen goes blank. I have to change over to the VGA connector to see what is on the screen. I had rather use the HDMI connection but looks like I am stuck with VGA. Also this problem did not happen in Windows 8, only after I upgraded to 8.1. Again, HDMI was working fine with Windows 8. Anymore suggestions I can try?

Thanks,
    Jarome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a different resolution?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I tried several resolutions but the problem is still there - blank screen. I returned it to the monitor's recommended resolution which is 1920x1080. I borrowed a friend's monitor which has a DVI connection and that worked fine. Unfortunately, my monitor only has HDMI (2) and VGA. VGA is not quite as sharp as DVI or HDMI but is pretty close as far as my eyes can tell. Until I can find the problem with HDMI, it will work fine. Is threre any other disadvantage to using VGA?

Thanks,
    Jarome

Administrator
    Thanks
    I supposed the difference with VGA is just display quality. I still think the issue is with the driver, although that may be hard to understand.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I concur that it looks like a driver issue, but the latest Intel driver didn't help. I think my next plan is to install a good video card and disable the Intel HD Graphics chip in the CPU. Any suggestions on a good video card (Nvidea or ATI)? I am not a gamer so a high-end card is not needed. The latest Windows 8.1 driver is of course a necessity.

Thanks,
    Jarome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm... probably you may want to start a different thread, asking for advice on that. You may not get as much readers at the end of this thread on Windows 8.

I am not up to date on current graphics cards, so I can't help, sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4