2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying to multiple USB flashdrives at one time

I have some duplication to do of data onto flash drives. This constitutes around 7.8Gb of data that is to be copied to 60 flash drives.

I have timed the duration to copy from one machine onto one flash drive, and it takes around 25 minutes. If I were to work out how many days its going to take to copy these flash drives ...... I won't be done in time!

What will the impact be if I copy to more than one Flash Drive at the same time? (Copy from source HDD to say 3 USB Flash Drives - one in each USB port on the laptop)

Would it be wise to put four USBs into a USB Hub to copy the data to? (that would mean copying to say 4 Flash drives on a hub, plus another 2 in separate ports).

Would this reduce the time required to make the copies, or slow it down?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you could copy the source data to another system or two then you can double or triple the data copy but if you're limited to one system, one hard drive as source, theoretically it should keep up with the transfer speed on all USB ports even though USB ports speed is usually shared in pairs, so for sure you wouldn't want any other USB activity during that time.
    For that same reason, a hub might not work the best since all the speed of just one port would be shared to however many ports are connected through the hub. Also if there gets to be too many destinations (USB drives), the source drive might start to thrash a bit trying to keep up with so many simultaneous copy jobs so I suspect there is a sweet spot for number of drives to copy to simultaneously without slowing everything down, maybe 3 or 4 at a time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - managed the 60 copies in around 5 hours.
    Firstly copied to four USBs off the source machine.
    Next copied to HDDs of another 4 machines that I had available.
    Copied to multiple USBs off each machine

Each set took around 1 hour to complete (for 3 to 4 USBs at a time).

Happy that work is done......!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Our local talking newspaper copies 70 to 100 USB sticks every week. We started with a few USB hubs plugged into the PC but soon obtained a standalone USB copier that can do 10 at a time. Expensive, but worth it if you do this regularly.