2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365 Home Premium: Changing from 32 to 64 bit

I got a new laptop with Win8 installed. It started me out with all the usual stuff, and then asked if I wanted to try out Office 365 Home Premium.... (which seems the best fit of the new Office suite for me)

I have used Office 2010 X64 for at least 3 years now, and I need it to access some really large spreadsheets! When I looked into the automagically installed Office 2013 from the Office 365 trial , I found it was 32 Bit. I then went to Control Panel and selected to remove Office 2013, so I can try and install the 64 bit version instead.

Restart required...... OK.... Now 2 hrs later the screen still says Configuring Windows features 17% complete do not turn off your computer......!!! HDD light keeps showing its really active....... what's up with that?

Anyone else have this problem uninstalling Office 365 (2013)??

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - 2hrs 15 minutes and the computer restarted, and is now back on the same screen...... Configuring Windows features 100% complete....... for at least 10 minutes.

Tiresome.... I need to get some work done!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    That seems a bit too much... every advice that can be given may be risky. You may wish to wait a little bit more or just try and restart the computer. Can't really advise one over the other. Probably restarting won't damage anything, but I can't be sure. If it were mine, I would probably bite the bullet and restart, but please understand that is not a risk free option.

It pays up to have an up to date image that you can use in such circumstances, if things turn out the worst possible way.

P.S.: You have updated the topic since my reply. Now it seems it will complete, just be patient.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another 15 minutes, and it showed me the login screen......... Wonder why this new machine is taking so long to restart (after uninstalling Office 365!) It's not a slow laptop, either - nice new machine with i5 processor ......

OK- so here goes with trying to install X64 version....!! Wish me luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I should go find a pad and paper - it will be more productive than a PC!

I removed Office 365 32 bit using the uninstall routine. Restarted and then went about installing the X64 version (because I also found out that a 32 bit version will not open 64 bit Outlook PSTs - so you're tied into 64 bit!! - beware!)

Install all worked fine, then it asked me to activate which I duly did. Then it went straight back to Activate again..... and again..... and again!

Thought it might have been a problem download/ install. So did an offline repair..... same result!

Then I did an Online repair - took ages to download, and the same thing again!

Also tried to deactivate the activation on the Office.com site - then when I activate on the desktop, it reflects activated on the Office.com website, but not on the desktop.

Now, instead of a 1 month trial, I am down to 4 days........!!! EEK!

Next saga - a new day, so I should be fresh to tackle the problem. Called MS and got their billing department, who ended up not being able to help me. Next I tried the support page - and had a call back almost immediately - wow! (but then got shunted around MS Support until someone felt like dealing with a customer). Got a very helpful lady called Dawn in the Phillipines (I am in South Africa). She took control over my machine (I think with Logmein) and went about the same as what I just did - same result.
    Next she removed all office traces using the Fixit tool, and then went through the registry deleting a whole lot of stuff....... Scary watching your screen and its doing things all by itself!
    Retried installation, and eventually after 1.5 hrs of download again (fourth time downloading) ended up with the same problem!! Except now, its even worse, my machine hangs during restart!

I guess that a factory restore is needed, but I didn't get any disks or anything else. I will have to look for that Win8 refresh article...... and hope that the machine behaves itself after that!

Or maybe, I should just stick with Office 2010........... :-(

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - after a full weekend of trying to resolve the problems, and two calls from Microsoft support (one from Philipines, and another from India), we have a system that is working again.

The solution that worked was to log into Office 365 with an MS "guest" account (or possibly simply another MS Account) and then log in again as myself. The nagging irritating activate screens sent away! Its working like it should! WOW!

It has left a really bad taste in the mouth, but let's see how the new Office works before passing final comment.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Hope that it keeps that way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4