Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Looks like time to switch to Apple!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
    Looks like time to switch to Apple!
    Yes, because Apple was not the company that started what Microsoft is now trying to mimic...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Yes, because Apple was not the company that started what Microsoft is now trying to mimic...
    :=) I confess, I know little about Apple. For one thing, their products exceed my budget. So, what other options are there? I don't want to be connected all the time, or have my info sitting in a cloud. I do some writing, run some forums, do email, look at family photos on FB, and my dog has a blog. I'm also participating in some on-line classes and live streamed courses. Back up my "stuff" on a usb drive and back up that on an external hard drive. Don't care to go portable beyond my laptop or be perpetually "connected". I love technology and things that go "whirr" and "click", but the frantic pursuit of profit just turns me off, even of things that go "whirr" and "click"!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't want to be connected, you can use any of the Microsoft OSes and not use their cloud related features. You don't need a Microsoft account to use Windows 8. To be honest, if you don't use the services, a Microsoft account can be just that, an account - see it as a way to login to services you won't use. No info sitting on the cloud or anywhere, just a username and a password (that should be a good one, length and content wise).

I don't know other OSes that well. I don't use Linux and I would never, ever drink from Apple's KoolAid (I'd rather have Microsoft's, at least its cheaper and gives me more options). I think, however, that cloud computing will become more and more used everywhere, that's just the path the industry is going right now. It seems to me that all OSes are going to incorporate that, in some way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

bcoop (2013-11-10)

Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib! Sometimes I just get tired of change for change sake, that doesn't improve anything that I can see or use. Guess for folks using the services it is useful. Maybe I'm just feeling crabby today!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree bcoop, not about Apple or that it's solely a profit-driven, but it sure is frantic. I've even heard consumer tech guys, who normally love everything new and shiny, say they are just becoming overwhelmed and can't keep track of everything anymore. It's not a good sign when those guys admit they are exhausted by the pace.
    For me it's simple, I drew a technology line, nothing that will induce A.D.D.; no Facebook, no Twitter, etc.; no ultra portable devices or any way to connect to the Internet when I'm out and about breathing fresh clean air, and after testing Win 8 for many months, it is not for me in any way so I quadrupled down on XP and Win 7 and I'm set now until Windows decides what the heck it's going to be. If its even more into the world of frantic go-go gadgets, well then it'll never be for me again.

Simple-as-that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib! Sometimes I just get tired of change for change sake, that doesn't improve anything that I can see or use. Guess for folks using the services it is useful. Maybe I'm just feeling crabby today!
    Things just seem to happen very fast, these days, it's not easy to keep up with the pace. I think things are made for a smaller set of highly motivated tech people, who command headlines and are actual opinion makers. Then they trickle down to the common citizen, at least those than end up with a new device, regardless of the factor, that definitely incorporates the newest and shiniest that technology has to offer.
    For a company like Microsoft, a bit conservative, things are not easy, either. If Microsoft did not keep pace with the Apple's and Google' of this world, it soon would wither and die. So, for manufacturers of computers, devices and gizmos, it's pretty much a fight to stay relevant, for all of them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Some of them are like bloody leeches wanting all sorts of info - where I went to school, where I live, etc. I'm going to enter "none of your damn business" one of these days. I don't need 6000 "friends", 5950 of whom I've never met in this life! I'm with you F.U.N., don't want a phone ringing when I'm out enjoying a walk in the fresh air, or being overwhelmed with so much info that there is no time to think about it. We get too much info, not enough thoughtfulness.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Some of them are like bloody leeches wanting all sorts of info - where I went to school, where I live, etc. I'm going to enter "none of your damn business" one of these days. I don't need 6000 "friends", 5950 of whom I've never met in this life! I'm with you F.U.N., don't want a phone ringing when I'm out enjoying a walk in the fresh air, or being overwhelmed with so much info that there is no time to think about it. We get too much info, not enough thoughtfulness.
    Yes, there is an overload of social apps, no doubt about it, and many are quite intrusive. We can choose what info to share and we should choose. I have a facebook account, that I use to know a bit about friends that are not geographically close, but I share minimum info there.

Social networking can bring good things, too. I find twitter to be an amazingly effective social network to obtain valuable technical information. It's second to none on that, IMO, so being on twitter is part of my continued training as an IT professional.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Indeed, peer to peer platforms have a robust history of effectiveness for all things good and bad and utter nonsense and trivia. The term social doesn't fit very well anymore though, it's not supposed to be so impersonal in such a large ratio. It's no return for human psyche in lieu of real social interactions, yet I fear it is substituted more and more.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think, however, that cloud computing will become more and more used everywhere
    Only if people are dumb enough to use it. See The Cloud: Risky, Unreliable, and Dumb.

so I quadrupled down on XP and Win 7 and I'm set now until Windows decides what the heck it's going to be
    Amen brother. I've got five Win7 machines that will ultimately become Linux machines unless MS fixes the miserable steaming pile that is 8.x.

If Microsoft did not keep pace with the Apple's and Google' of this world, it soon would wither and die.
    Gotta disagree with this one. Apple and Google are in a race to the bottom to see who can create the most brain-dead interface. More here. MS should be heading in the opposite direction!

Sorry to keep citing Dvorak, but he almost always says what I'm thinking and puts it better than I could. Anytime I hear "software as a service" or "store it in the cloud," I put my hand on my wallet and run. Those terms are synonymous with stealing your money and stealing your data.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wu_saline View Post
    Only if people are dumb enough to use it. See The Cloud: Risky, Unreliable, and Dumb.

Amen brother. I've got five Win7 machines that will ultimately become Linux machines unless MS fixes the miserable steaming pile that is 8.x.

Gotta disagree with this one. Apple and Google are in a race to the bottom to see who can create the most brain-dead interface. More here. MS should be heading in the opposite direction!

Sorry to keep citing Dvorak, but he almost always says what I'm thinking and puts it better than I could. Anytime I hear "software as a service" or "store it in the cloud," I put my hand on my wallet and run. Those terms are synonymous with stealing your money and stealing your data.
    Is that the same Dvorak that wrote pearls such as:

"Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the “why” out of the equation — as in “why would I want this?” The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ‘mouse’. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices."

or

"Once in a while the system will go into an idle mode, requiring from five minutes to half an hour to unwind. It's weird, and I almost always have to reboot. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing? Once in a while, after you've clicked all over the screen trying to get the system to do something other than idle, all your clicks suddenly ignite and the screen goes crazy with activity. This is not right."

or

"If [Apple's] smart, it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. [... ] It should do that immediately before it's too late."

There are many more like those. I don't hold his opinions in very high regard. To me, if I had to describe him, I would describe him much more as an entertainer than a journalist. Entertainer, in a WWE kind of way, if one likes such entertainment. I don't. In my book the man has zero credibility. He has shown his ignorance and lack of prescience more than once, as the previous quotes show. The first time I was badly impressed was when I read him stating Windows NT would never work, due to the sheer number of code lines. Of course, Windows NT did work and it provided the foundation on which Windows 2000, one of the most solid Windows versions ever, was based.

I think you should worry about quoting him on anything. I would.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-11-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-b9065099efd6

Hello everyone,

We would like to thank all those who have helped us to collect data by sending us logs. The cause for error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 is known to be faulty drivers, however it can be difficult to identify exactly which drivers are creating the error.

Note: Please double-check the error code before reading further. There are many variations of error 0xC1900101, each with a different location code -- the error extension, located after the dash. The information in this thread is intended only for location code 0x40017. If you are receiving a different location code, these steps are unlikely to resolve your issue.

There have been reports of a USB driver causing this error. Until a specific USB driver can be determined as a root cause, if you receive this error, we recommend you unplug all USB devices (other than your mouse and keyboard) as a troubleshooting step and try the upgrade again. If the upgrade is then successful, you can plug the devices back in and they should function normally.

We have identified a few drivers associated with the following hardware or software that could be causing this problem:

1. SteelSeries– Mouse and keyboard manufacture. The SteelSeries Engine is currently not supported on Windows 8.1. Please seetheir FAQfor more info and updates.

2. NVIDIA -- Video card manufacture. Check to make sure you’ve upgraded to thelatest video drivers.

3. ESET - Antivirus and security-related products. Please see the ESET Knowledgebase to learn how to safely upgrade to Windows 8.1 with ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed.

4. Trusteer Rapport-- Credit card fraud protection software. Trusteer recommends installing thelatest updatefor Windows 8.1 compatibility.

If you have any of these programs installed, please let us know if disabling, uninstalling, or upgrading the software or drivers allowed you to install Windows 8.1 successfully.

We are sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate your help and understanding while we continue to investigate this issue.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-12-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you should worry about quoting him on anything.
    I consider myself properly spanked. Nonetheless, my opinions concerning cloud storage and the declining state of user interfaces remain the same.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wu_saline View Post
    I consider myself properly spanked. Nonetheless, my opinions concerning cloud storage and the declining state of user interfaces remain the same.
    Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and opinions need to respected .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast