New Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need a wireless network adapter card?

I'd like to get a wireless router so I can access wi-fi with an iPad and laptop (have a cable modem). My PC doesn't have a wireless network adapter card in it. Do I need one, or will a wireless router be all I need? Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Wireless routers also have at least 4 cable connections, so you will be good to go.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Andy (2016-08-09)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'd like to get a wireless router so I can access wi-fi with an iPad and laptop (have a cable modem). My PC doesn't have a wireless network adapter card in it. Do I need one, or will a wireless router be all I need? Thanks.
    Your Desktop or Notebook is probably connected to the Modem via an Ethernet cable so as mentioned get a Wireless Router, plug its Uplink port to the Modem then the computer to any of the 4 ports on the Router via the Ethernet cable then set up the Wireless/Wi-Fi so other devices can access the 'net through it. Be sure to use a password on the Wireless to keep nefarious folks out. If you want the current computer to have Wireless access you can get a USB Dongle or Add-in Wireless adapter for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Andy (2016-08-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul T and Berton. Appreciate your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to use a desktop or laptop wirelessly, you can get a small USB plug in WiFi receiver.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    If your computer is very old, you might increase your connection speed with a brand-new USB wifi adapter.

I connected a USB wifi adapter to my desktop computer, and my speed was faster than with the Ethernet cable! My guess as to why: The built-in Ethernet adapter was several years old, but the USB wifi adapter was brand new.

I'm pretty sure I was using CAT 5E cable, but I might have been using CAT 5, so that could have also contributed to the faster speed on wifi.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If your computer is very old, you might increase your connection speed with a brand-new USB wifi adapter.

I connected a USB wifi adapter to my desktop computer, and my speed was faster than with the Ethernet cable! My guess as to why: The built-in Ethernet adapter was several years old, but the USB wifi adapter was brand new.

I'm pretty sure I was using CAT 5E cable, but I might have been using CAT 5, so that could have also contributed to the faster speed on wifi.
    The internal NIC could be only 10/100, most computers of the last few years have 10/100/1000 [Gigabit] adapters. I have a Dell Vostro Desktop I've been tasked to copy their data that has only a 10/100 adapter. You could have an 802.11n Router which would be faster. I use CAT5 cables with my Gigabit Router and Gigabit Switch and always get the Gigabit speed although it is recommended to use CAT5e or CAT6. And the cable length can be a factor, mine are less than 50 feet, the limit for Ethernet is 100Meters [300+ feet].

Thanks
    I was two feet from the router, so both the Ethernet cable and the wireless distance were very short.