Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Modem+Linksys Router+Static Ip

Hi i have a d-link modem on which my static ip is been setup and modem ip is 192.168.1.9 and i have connected my modem to linksys wrtg54 router whose ip i have setup is 192.168.192.10 now my linksys router is connected an old computer which is my server 2008 r2

I am trying to put my website live on internet and i am confused in this static ip thing.On my server computer i have my ip is 192.168.192.44 and subnet is 255.255.255.0 and dns is 192.168.192.10 and dns whatever my modem is.And enabled port forwarding on my linksys router to 192.168.192.44:80

on my server i have installed dns server,web iis,active domain service and then posted my website on iis server and did the binding with the ip address.

How do i check if my website is live ? Did i done right with my static ip?

Thanks
    Is there a reason you want to host your own website? You would probably be better served by setting up an account with someone who hosts websites. They will have all of the details figured out for you; it will be a lot easier for you that way.

Also, if you host your own website, you need to be concerned about website security, i.e. hackers. That danger is far less if you use a hosting service, because they will deal with most of that for you.

To check to see if your website is live, go to another computer and try to access your website.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Is there a reason you want to host your own website? You would probably be better served by setting up an account with someone who hosts websites. They will have all of the details figured out for you; it will be a lot easier for you that way.

Also, if you host your own website, you need to be concerned about website security, i.e. hackers. That danger is far less if you use a hosting service, because they will deal with most of that for you.

To check to see if your website is live, go to another computer and try to access your website.
    Yes i have specific reason to host my own website which is for my college project work and yes i agree i dont mind website security.

To go on other computer and try to access my website wouldnt that be internal?how can i check it external via internet?

New Lounger
    Thanks

whats the network flow should be configured? and whether i should configure modem or router if any one or both what should i configure port forwarding or dmz?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urgenthelpneeded View Post
    Yes i have specific reason to host my own website which is for my college project work
    That makes perfect sense. I wish I could help you, but I've never hosted my own web site.

To go on other computer and try to access my website wouldnt that be internal?how can i check it external via internet?
    If you are on another computer on-campus, it may be internal or external. But if you try to access it from a computer which is not on the campus network, it will definitely be external. Try to access it from your phone; as long as your phone is not on the campus wifi, then it will be external. And if you can access your website from an external device, then it definitely is live.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That makes perfect sense. I wish I could help you, but I've never hosted my own web site.

If you are on another computer on-campus, it may be internal or external. But if you try to access it from a computer which is not on the campus network, it will definitely be external. Try to access it from your phone; as long as your phone is not on the campus wifi, then it will be external. And if you can access your website from an external device, then it definitely is live.
    ok but what should i type my internal ip address 192.168.192.44:80 or what?

Thanks
    To access your web site, type the web address from an external device.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree with mrjimphelps. Use either the external IP address (which has been assigned to your modem by your ISP), or the web address/domain name which you have purchased (like www.urgenthelpneeded.com or whatever). Your external IP isn't an IP you assign.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    First thing to do is ensure your webserver is running.

Using the server machine, enter http://localhost in a browser. Does that show your website?
    Last edited by Browni; 2016-07-22 at 17:13.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    This is a networking issue not a server problem. Please use this thread as I closed the other. Do NOT duplicate threads. It fractures responses and makes us duplicate effort just to keep up.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    This is a networking issue not a server problem. Please use this thread as I closed the other. Do NOT duplicate threads. It fractures responses and makes us duplicate effort just to keep up.
    Ok Sorry but i was very much helpless to findout the solution thats y i posted multiple places.My bad.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    First thing to do is ensure your webserver is running.

Using the server machine, enter http://localhost in a browser. Does that show your website?
    No it doesnt show my website it shows default page of IIS after writing http://localhost and when i write my static ip on url it directs me to modem but not on my website. What should i do?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No it doesnt show my website it shows default page of IIS after writing http://localhost and when i write my static ip on url it directs me to modem but not on my website. What should i do?
    Can you reach your Web page by putting your Domain name and extension in the Address box such as typing www.mydomain.com or www.mydomain.co, whatever Domain you chose when setting up the Web presence? Or are you having your Web Domain hosted by something like https://www.godaddy.com/ ?[there's many other hosting services available]? All the Routers I've worked with have setup IP addresses of 192.168.x.x, the last 2 groups vary among different brands.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-07-23 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Where is the website located? By default IIS looks in \inetpub\wwwroot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast