Thanks

Word 2007-Document Does Not Open On First Page

In Word 2007 documents, if you set the document to have a different first page header, when you open such documents, they open at the top of the second page. Is this a bug in Word 2007 or is there a setting that has to be changed to have the document open on the first page like any other document?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't do that in Word 2010, and I've never heard anyone else ask about it. Perhaps you could post an example.

Thanks
    I seem to remember an option where Word would open to the last edit point of a document.

Try changing something minor on page 1, save the document then re-open it. Does it still happen?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no setting that automatically opens documents to the second page, or to the last edit point. (In most Word versions you can go to the last edit point by pressing Shift+F5, but even that doesn't work in Word 2007 because somebody forgot to make that version save the hidden bookmark used by the GoBack feature. It was fixed in Word 2010.)

There are only two situations I know of that cause a document to open directly to page 2. One is an AutoOpen macro specifically constructed to do that (but I presume you'd know about it if you put it there). The other is when the document contains legacy form fields, so it's protected for filling forms, and the first form field is on page 2. If that's the case here, the only fix is to put a form field on page 1.

If neither of those situations fits, then follow Eric's suggestion to post a sample document.

Thanks
    It appears that it is unique to my employer's documents when a different first page header is applied. Off to the preventers of information technologies.

Thanks anyways for your responses.

Thanks
    Just a thought...

Any chance that the first-page header is HUGE - taking up the entire first page? I don't know that it would cause opening on the second page, though.
    Some letterhead templates use graphics in the first-page header (or text boxes) and the wrapping on these is not set correctly.

A huge graphic can prevent typing anywhere on the first page. I think it still opens with the first page displayed, though. On my system, attempting to type on this first page is very slow.

One other possibility that occurs to me would be if a Cover Page was inserted and locked completely it would not allow any editing.

The only way to really see what is going on would be to post a sample document (stripped of confidential or proprietary information).
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-11-09 at 14:23.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Nope.