New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 XP Mode

Some months ago, I followed Fred Langa's excellent step-by-step guide to "Using Window 7's XP Mode" and have been using XP Mode for two programs - MS Money 2002 and MS Front Page 2002. I have found that the programs take quite a time to load and any Internet activity in XP Mode is very slow. Also, I keep getting told that the memory and disk activity is high. Is this normal for a Windows Virtual PC?
    Any advice on how to improve performance and other people's experience in operating Windows 7 XP Mode would be welcomed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the VM is on the same drive as the host OS performance will be significantly slower. Moving the VM to another drive will help quite a bit, externals will work as well, USB 3 better than USB 2 of course.
    For best performance I move the VM to a SSD, either internal or external USB 3, the latter choice making the VM portable.

Also, back in the day when I was building up XP Mode from scratch, I always imported XP mode to VMWare player 3.0 (still available) and then upgraded VMWare Player to the latest version. That way it's easier to move and make a backup copy, more options, better performance.

Memory usage should be high, if you can, assign more RAM to the VM (2 gigs might help a little) and disk activity will also be high when both the host and guest OS are active on the same disk; in fact it becomes the main bottleneck that slows everything down. I've even tried host and guest on a fast SSD and each is fast but they still get in each other's way when working and there are noticeable slowdowns here and there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

colin (2013-11-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for confirming my experience with VM. My VM is on the same drive as the host OS. I shall now consider moving the VM to another drive as you have done to see how much improvement I can get.