New Lounger
    Thanks

word and printers

I am working in the country of Peru where the normal paper size is A4. I have managed to set my Word templates to that size and that works fine. Where I have trouble is that setting doesn't get sent to my Canon BJC-1000 printer. Every time I go to print, I either have to go the the print properties - paper - and choose A4. What a pain - so many clicks! I have tried making a new setting file and saving it, but it doesn't include the paper size, nor does it keep the setting I select, but always is back to the default "text" settings whenever I open it back up and check it. I have looked around in the help file of that printer and the only thing I can find it that the paper size is supposed to come from the program (in this case Word), but it isn't getting reset.

I have all too often printed a document set up for A4 with the printer setting at Letter, and it does some scaling somehow and so it ends up different than if I printed it with the A4 settings.

What can I do to get it to print according to what I have it set up as in Word?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: word and printers

Hello,

Perhaps you can set this via Control Panel?
    You don't indicate which version of Windows, but in Windows 2000 it's:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Printers
    Right-click on the relevant printer and in the pop-up menu click on Printing Preferences.
    There should be an "Advanced" button somewhere on the dialog that comes up.
    Click on Advanced and there should be a place to set the Paper Size.

HTH,
    Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Gary's suggestions, you might also make sure that the printer driver is the latest. I've had problems before with HP printers (and I'm sure Cannon isn't immune).

I haven't used A4 paper, but you might check Tools/Options/Print/Allow A4/Letter paper resizing. I'm not sure whether that will help if you uncheck it or check it, but try it both ways.

Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but...
    I'm using Win98 and word2000. What I would expect but am not getting is that whatever papersize I set in word would change the paper size in the print driver, but it doesn't. I often go to the driver and set the paper size, but would really like if it would do it automatically. It seems that Word and the print driver are not communicating clearly!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In NZ we also use A4 sized paper. Gary's suggestion is how we set up our printers. I have a canon BJC4000 and as soon as it installs it automatically gives me A4 paper. You can change this through right mouse clicking on the printer and either selecting Printing Preferences > Advanced, or Properties > Device Settings.
    Make sure all templates, including Normal, have their paper size set to A4.
    If this doesn't help, you'll have to check with Canon.

If you are on a network, it may be that the scripts running for the network reset the printer defaults back to Letter - if that's the case talk to your IT people.