Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Thanks for posting about the solution. It may be of use to someone else .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    FWIW Department:

I've run into this phenomenon a number of times in my dissections and reconstructions of Windows (moving the contents of folders to another HDD, then deleting the folder(s). The method that has always worked for me is to open an elevated Command Prompt, navigate to the lowest-level "empty" folder and run the command

Del *.* /s /q

then

CD..

followed by

RD [subfoldername]

then repeat with Del *.* /s /q

and continue this sequence up the chain of subfolders until I have removed the last "empty" folder.

Often an error message "file not found" will result from the Del command, but I just continue the sequence all the way up.

This has never failed me. YMMV
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pledden...Seems that those folders had a problem with the file index or some such.

The advice about Linux and Ubuntu for this stuff is usually sound. I'm no good with these OSes, but if you make yourself a Kaspersky Rescue CD it has a file manager that can do the job, and boots on everything but some really old P4s. The Kaspersky disk is some form of Linux, and you can scan for malware if you want.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you John-O. I do have a CD copy of Kaspersky but I am reluctant to install it as I already run Norton 360. Is it possible to make a rescue CD without installing first?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If Disk Check worked, then you had corrupt data in the directory (or associated pointers) that windows could not decipher and therefore, could not delete. It will not touch locked or corrupt data performing delete functions. Considered a safety feature by some of us.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All

Very Thx pledden.. i had the same problems than you. In the past (from windows 7 to windows 8 update), i used the cleanup tool to delete windows.old and had no problems.
    but nothing to do since i updated from windows 8 to windows 8.1. and i tried all the things you tried.. linux cd, unlocker tool, del /q /s ect ect ect ect

i tried many things but notin worked
    and i read you post today.. and i used checkdisk like you said

the exact command
    chkdsk /I /F /scan

windows 8.1 rebooted, scanned the disk and i was able to delete de folder/subfolder windows.old

youpiii
    very nice... i tried alot of things and notin worked excep this
    very thx for this info
    Sincerely
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12