New Lounger
    Thanks

NetGear WNDR3700v4 N600 router issue

I'm no techie but this is what I think I know; I'm getting very reduced network speed, a very weak signal and it seems like there is a problem staying connected. I have isolated the problem to my router. I'm paying Time Warner for 20Mbps download and 2Mbps upload speeds. My downlands are running between sub-1 and about 10Mbps with the majority of measurements in the 2 to 4Mbps range. When I connect by wire (5e cable) to my modem I get near 20, when I connect to my router by wire I get near 20. When I connect to my router with Wi-Fi I have the problems. I've run Speedtest from an old HP Vista pentium laptop, from a Dell Win7 i7 desktop and from a Toshiba Win8 A4 laptop all with the same results. My router placement is not ideal, however, I moved from MA to NC with a WNDR3700v1 or 2 and had no reason to complain and never cared about testing speed. I lost the router to a nearby lightning strike and replaced the router with the updated version of the damaged model. That's when the problems started. I've talked to NetGear and tweaked settings 5 times which has left me with the occasional 10Mbps download. Upload speeds have been pretty consistent at just under 2. After the 5th conversation, NetGear sent a replacement router. It performed worse than the first and a second replacement performed worse than that. I've also talked with Time Warner and they haven't been able to offer anything. I did try a new modem that was useless. So now that I've exhausted all of the amateur advisers I've come to the experts for help.

Any ideas why a newer model of a decent router would behave much worse that an older model of this same router? I am using the latest firmware and have been during all of my speed testing. Do I bite-the-bullet and try different brand?

Thanks
    I have a Netgear N150 which I bought at Walmart for around $35 a couple of years ago. I have excellent wifi performance with it.

Perhaps you should try the N150; it's a much simpler router. If you get it at WalMart, you can always bring it back if it is unsatisfactory.

I'd stick with Netgear.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

All your testing seems to point to the router as the source of the problem, so I would agree with Jim. If you can buy the router from a place where you can easily return it, in case of problems, that would probably be a good solution.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You might also want to change the wireless broadcast channel to make sure you're not seeing interference. If you download and run inssider , you can see all the wireless networks in your neighborhood and which ones are overlapping your current channel.
    http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Download inssider for the home at the bottom of the page.

jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You might also want to change the wireless broadcast channel to make sure you're not seeing interference. If you download and run inssider , you can see all the wireless networks in your neighborhood and which ones are overlapping your current channel.
    http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Download inssider for the home at the bottom of the page.

jerry
    Hi Jerry, have you any idea how high the Link Score goes ?

RR.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same router and I've not had a problem. Have you done a reset to factory default setting and then follow the directions as listed in the manual. Sometimes we get impatient and miss a simple step. Jerry had good ideas to try.
    MJ