New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive disconnecting

Hi when i put my computer on there seems to be an error with my hard drive, the message says cannot find drive (disconnected) after a min it then appears. Can you please help, i cannot see any files for a minute,

Is there a solution
    Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Wait just a minute.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Ritz,

Is this an internal hard drive or a USB connected or network connected hard drive? If it is on of the latter two types you have to wait for Windows to access it.

P.S. you should always specify which version of Windows you are using it helps those trying to answer your question.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    windows 7 - it is the internal hard drive - every time i switch on the machine and after a couple of mins it is ok

Thanks
    Is this before or after Windows has fully completed booting to the logon screen?

This sounds like something is attempting to access the drive before it is fully ready.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sorry for late reply, this when i have logged in and windows screen appears, This problem stops a couple mins after

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The worst cause i can think of is that the drive is beginning to fail and struggles each time you boot up the system. Maybe use a free hard drive software that examines the SMART info and reports on bad sectors or possible imminent failure. Someone here on the forum will know which software is best for that, i hope. Another possibility is that malkware has infiltrated your system and is busy doing something bad for the first couple of minutes after you boot up. Maybe try starting Windows in Safe Mode and run a full virus scan or MalwareBytes scan?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think it was mentioned, but have you run a CheckDisk on the drive?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe the BIOS/CMOS chip's battery has gone flat and needs to be replaced. The inexpensive battery, costing a few £/$, keeps the BIOS settings. If the battery is flat, the BIOS has to go through its full process to configure the components, which takes time. With a functioning battery, customised settings are retained in the CMOS flash memory, making the process much faster. The following page on the BIOS deals with replacing the battery.

The BIOS - http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

On a desktop PC, you just take the old battery out and put the new one in (the identification on the battery enables you to order the same type), but to get at the battery on a laptop can be complicated due to being well inside the machine's innards and may require using the service manual that most major laptop manufacturers provide from their websites.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i dont think it is the BIOS battery. everything runs fine but the drives are not showing for a couple of mins. After that everything is ok

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Open a command prompt as an administrator and enter the command chkdsk

This is a read-only mode and should list if there are any bad files/clusters.

If it reports bad clusters, back up your personal files then run the command chkdsk /r

You could also go into the Repair Environment by tapping F8 as you switch on and select Repair your Computer to navigate to Startup Repair to see if that reports anything and there may be something related in Event Viewer.

It's advised to run the Startup Repair three times, restarting after each.

Last Known Good Configuration can also be an option worth trying.