Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010 odd behavior

Have you noticed this very recently when using Access2010? You create a new object, but it doesn't appear in the database window. You actually have to close then reopen the database for the object to appear! It is like the db window is not automatically refreshing, and I can't find a "Refresh" button.

I think I've seen this on both my desktop and my laptop, and I'm pretty sure this is a relatively new behavior. Perhaps a Windows Update caused it? Or is it possible there is some setting I've inadvertently changed?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Mark,

I just tested this on my Installation of Office 2010 Pro SP-2 in Win 8.1 Pro (fully patched) and it worked as it should. I created both a table and a query and they both immediately showed up in the DB Window. I'm in the process of patching my Win 7 HP system I'll report back when I test it there. HTH

Update: I just tested with a fully patched Win 7 HP and same version of Office with the same results. BTW: I'm using .mdb databases could you possibly be using .accdb files and this is causing the problem? Just a thought.

Update2: I just upgraded my Win 7 HP to IE 11 and still no problem with the DB Window updating when adding/deleting objects.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-11-09 at 09:21.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know, something is wrong. I did a File | Save As, and the new object didn't show until I closed/re-opened (or compact/repaired). And like I said, this just started happening.
    Mark Liquorman

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I work on a number of systems at different locations, and I've not seen that behavior either. However we've held off installing SP2 of Office 2010 on all of those I believe. It sounds like one of your Access system level files may be corrupt. We have seen other problems with the Navigation Pane, but not that one.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLiquorman View Post
    Have you noticed this very recently when using Access2010? You create a new object, but it doesn't appear in the database window. You actually have to close then reopen the database for the object to appear! It is like the db window is not automatically refreshing, and I can't find a "Refresh" button.

I think I've seen this on both my desktop and my laptop, and I'm pretty sure this is a relatively new behavior. Perhaps a Windows Update caused it? Or is it possible there is some setting I've inadvertently changed?
    It would hep to know hte specific version of Access 2010. Is it the 32 or 64 bit? What SP level?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought my Office version was up-to-date, but I checked and was only at SP1. I had auto-update turned-on, but when I ran the update program myself the SP2 update would not install! I had to go to the download site and manually get the update and run it. That installed SP2, and that seemed to fix the problem. I still don't understand why the behavior I noted had suddenly surfaced using SP1, but I guess its a moot point now.
    Mark Liquorman

Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it resolved.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLiquorman View Post
    I don't know, something is wrong. I did a File | Save As, and the new object didn't show until I closed/re-opened (or compact/repaired). And like I said, this just started happening.
    Thank you for confirming that I am not losing my marbles (yet). I had the same situation in the classroom the other day with File - Save As for an amended query (demonstrating different ways of forming criteria).
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In case anyone returns to this ... If you are unable to apply service pack for a while (I, for example, cannot due to the IT environment in which I am working), there is a workaround that doesn't involve restarting MS Access: in the Search Bar on the Navigation Pane, enter an asterisk (*) and click the Clear Search String icon (filter with a red cross to the right of the Search) - this refreshes the list of objects listed in the Navigation Pane.