Thread: Last hope

New Lounger
    Thanks

Last hope

I posted this problem but I cannot find it anywhere, so my apologies if I have posted it twice.
    I installed Win 8 on my machine and my wife's machine on day of general release. Both worked fine. When 8.1 was released I installed it on my wife's machine but on my machine the windows store would not open. Scandsk confirmed there were corrupted files but was unable to effect a fix. Reinstalled Windows 8 and then updated to 8.1. All appeared to be well. As I had lost my installed programs when I did a fresh install of Windows 8 I have been putting back some of those I lost. However I now find that some programs will not install for example update of Macrium reflect, or install Real Player and Firefox. I get an error message saying that: "your system administrator has blocked this program, for more information contact your system administrator." I also get a message when I open Windows Mail saying "the server you are connected to is using a certificate that cannot be verified. The certificate's CN Name does not match the passed value. Do you wish to continue using this server yes/no"
    This has only occurred since the reinstallation of 8 and 8.1 I have examined to the best of my abilities the group policies and local policies and as far as I can see everything I look at is the same on my wife's computer as on mine. However, hers works, mine doesn't. Can anybody please help before I start again from scratch and reinstall Windows 8 and have to reinstall all my programs again.
    Des
    Last edited by delinwales; 2013-11-10 at 10:37.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What programs are giving you installation issues? Are you installing them as Administrator?
    What security apps are you using?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update for Macrium Reflect, Real Player and Firefox. None of these will install and give the error message I mentioned
    Logged in as username, email address, administrator, password protected.
    Windows Defender only security program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried right clicking the installation programs and choosing Run as Administrator?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Exactly the same result.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using the same Windows account in 8.1, that you were using in 8?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything is exactly the same. Also the same set up as on my wife's machine. As I have managed to install around fifty programs since the latest reinstall, either the problem has suddenly occurred or there is something that the system doesn't like about the programs that are rejected. Both my wide's computer and mine are using 64 bit and her machine updated Macrium Reflect to the latest version without any problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you use the same user accounts on your wife's computer?

I am thinking thus is caused by permission issues, thus my question about accounts. This could happen with a simple change in user accounts when the upgrade occurred. You could try getting support on each of the specific programs that fail to install to determine which folders they need access to, in order to complete their installation,so that then you could simply take ownership of the required folders and try the install again.

If you are able to solve the issues in this vaguely advised manner, unfortunately there is no guarantee that the issue won't popup again. Did you format the disk as part of your windows 8 reinstallation?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I didn't reformat the drive on which Windows is installed. I have been digging deeper into permissions and have set up two more accounts in Windows. The first is just the same as my usual one but with a different email address and the other is purely an administrator account. Even booting into the administrator account and going through the "Hi" process, "we are setting everything up for you." it still will not install those programs. I am now wondering whether it would be simpler to go right back and install win 8 again then update to 8.1 or whether to install a clean 8.1 system. I have emailed realplayer as the troubleshooter says it is incompatible and I find that difficult to believe as it works on my wife's machine.

Thanks
    To get around the Real Player problem, and use a better player than Real Player IMO, try VLC Player. Quite some time ago Real Player became quite a resource hog. I have not checked it recently because once something looses appeal with me, I find it hard to go back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    It definitely seems you have a permissions issue, probably persisting from your original 8.0 problems. I am not aware that you can install 8.1 directly, but maybe that will be possible if you get the DVD. Anyway, installing 8.0 and immediately upgrade to 8.1 should bring any meaningful issues.

If you do install it, format the drive, so that all existing Windows folders are wiped out.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I already have VLC player which installed correctly. I will try installing Windows 8.1 with the DVD as per the instructions given on this web site earlier. Most annoyed that I have to go all through this again as I am sure the answer (if I could only find it) would be very simple. Much nicer than having to reinstall all those programs again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The problem is really finding out what resources are causing those specific installs to fail. Without that, you just risk creating even more problems, if you start changing permissions randomly. You always have the option of keeping your current install as it is. Earlier on 8.0, I had a similar issue with Winzip. I found the folder in question, took ownership and never had an issue again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4