Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My tablet stolen; any immediate suggestions?

I am on a cruise and my android tablet was stolen a couple of hours ago! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can or should do about it? I use lastpass on the tablet and laptop which is turned off at home. E.g, is there any way to disable the lastpass on the tablet?

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I am on a cruise and my android tablet was stolen a couple of hours ago! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can or should do about it? I use lastpass on the tablet and laptop which is turned off at home. E.g, is there any way to disable the lastpass on the tablet?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Change the LastPass password immediately, on LastPass's website. I hope you have LastPass configured not to remember the password, but even if you don't, just login to LastPass and change it ASAP.

Does Android allow you to lock the tablet?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    X2 about changing your Master PW. Without the Master PW they will not be able to access you passwords. I hope you have reported the theft to the ship board authorities. Did you have any identification attached to the tablet? Sorry I have no other recommendations at this time.

While traveling with a laptop or tablet, it is more secure to NOT have your Master PW entered automatically. At home my wife and I both have this done, but when traveling change this so that we have to enter the Master PW each time we open a site that requires LastPass to enter a PW.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If it is just some regular person who stole it you'll likely have the time, even 2 hrs after the fact.
    But if it is a serious thief you may be in some trouble.

If you think you have any important passwords compromised, like banking or other financial sites, then immediately change them
    or place them on access suspension by calling.
    If you cannot access any of them you'll need to call them and notify them of the compromise immediately.

You should also check back with, ship "lost and found" and security frequently as well.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-11-11 at 14:38.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Recording the MAC address and IMEI of your tablet is a good way to help recover it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

I didn't know what the IEMI was so I googled and found this article which others may find useful. Thanks.

FYI: Method 1 works on our Galaxy S2's.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-11-11 at 08:20.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for all the advice. After posting my message I was not able to get any internet access again until today, after I returned home. I do not have the master password for LastPass saved on any tablet or PC so that much seems to me as safe as it can be. Of course, depending on the sophistication of the person who stole my tablet, they might be able to break my password or use some other method to get past it. I'll start looking for suspicious activity in any of the accounts that can be accessed through LastPass and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Have you changed all the passwords to the sites in question? That would be the safest way to prevent access to your other important sites.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, Medico, I decided not to do that. I know I am taking a small chance that someone will get my LastPass open but I don't have LastPass working correctly on all the sites that would be involved and changing the passwords would be very traumatic for my wife and difficult to keep up with at this point. There is also the issue of what to do about LastPass if I did change all the target passwords. If I put the new passwords in LastPass and the thief has been able to open LastPass on the tablet it will be updated with the new passwords and I would not have accomplished anything!

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you change your master password, they won't be able to access any new or old passwords, not anymore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I see that more clearly now! That does cut off access to the new passwords in the main LastPass vault from the stolen tablet unless the thief breaks the new master password. I better go make those changes!

Thanks,
    Bill

PS: I continue to have a problem when I try to post a reply in this forum! I logged into this forum using LastPass and typed the words above and then ran a SpellCheck on them and selected and copied them in case this problem occurs. Then I verified that I was still logged in by scrolling up to the top and opening my profile in a second tab. That worked and the top line on this page certainly said I was logged in. However, when I clicked Post Quick Reply I got the following message:
    ----------
    The following errors occurred with your submission

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
    ----------
    I had to login again in order to post the original message and then edit it to add this problem description. This is very frustrating! So if you have any ideas please let me know.

Bill
    Last edited by BillWilson; 2013-11-15 at 17:16.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, I see that more clearly now! That does cut off access to the new passwords in the main LastPass vault from the stolen tablet unless the thief breaks the new master password. I better go make those changes!

Thanks,
    Bill
    And as soon as they go online, LastPass will stop working too. If they did already, they can no longer access anything related to your LastPass data.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Have you tried to add Windows Secrets to the Compatibility View Settings list? The default MS lists do not contain all web sites. I do see changes when I add WS to the list manually.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    PS: I continue to have a problem when I try to post a reply in this forum! I logged into this forum using LastPass and typed the words above and then ran a SpellCheck on them and selected and copied them in case this problem occurs. Then I verified that I was still logged in by scrolling up to the top and opening my profile in a second tab. That worked and the top line on this page certainly said I was logged in. However, when I clicked Post Quick Reply I got the following message:
    ----------
    The following errors occurred with your submission

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
    ----------
    I had to login again in order to post the original message and then edit it to add this problem description. This is very frustrating! So if you have any ideas please let me know.

Bill
    Is your pc clock on time? Have you tried adding the Lounge to the list of trusted sites?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Have you tried to add Windows Secrets to the Compatibility View Settings list? The default MS lists do not contain all web sites. I do see changes when I add WS to the list manually.
    OK, I think I have added windowssecrets.com to the Compatibility View list; I clicked on the broken glass icon at the right end of the address bar and then closed IE and opened it again. After that I went to the Test area here and posted a message without doing the spell checking and and it posted OK. Then, I tried to spell check a message and then post it and it got the error message! So it seems that spell checking, or atleast correcting spelling, is what is causing the problem. The spell checking I am using is named Spell Check in the right-click menu. "ieSpell Options" is also in that right-click menu so maybe that is the identity of the spell checker.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast