Lounger
    Thanks

WLM GMAIL IMAP some emails corrupted

I have Gmail setup in Windows Live Mail using IMAP. For the most part, it works very well. My regular email is a POP email. If I wish to keep an email, I move it to a folder in my Gmail IMAP setup and the email gets stored in Gmail. Most of the time, this all works very well.

But every now and then, when I try to move an email to a Gmail folder in WLM, the move doesn't appear to work and then the original email becomes corrupted somehow. WLM will no longer open it. All I can do is move it to trash and delete it there. I can't even delete it in the original folder w/o getting the error that WLM can't open the email. This happens whether I am moving emails from POP to IMAP or if I have a GMAIL inbox mail that I am merely moving to a folder to organize it. The folders in WLM are equivalent to labels in Gmail.

Most of the time, this happens on emails that don't really matter, but just recently, I lost an important email and I'm wondering if there is something I can do to stop this from happening. Perhaps some other email client would be more stable?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    It just happened again, but it didn't seem to be IMAP related at all. In my standard POP account, I had just read through some email...so some were read and some still bold because I had not read them. I deleted all of them and exited. When I came back, some of the ones I deleted were in the trash and some were still in the inbox. When I tried to open any of the emails in the inbox, it came back with "An unknown error has occurred". If I tried to delete them from the inbox, it said: "A problem occurred while trying to open this message". I was able to move them to the trash and then empty the trash and now they are gone. Why does this happen? Windows Live Mail 2012. Windows 8 x64.
    Last edited by Starry173; 2013-11-07 at 11:41.

Thanks
    Hi Starry173, 2 suggestions. 1, Set Gmail to be accessible using POP in WLM. 2, create filters in Gmail to group the ones you want. You can then safely delete anything in WLM as Gmail will retain everything for you. This is how I set Gmail:-

GB.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding. I was already mostly disconnected from WLM...I store my email in Gmail, so it was pretty easy to switch to Thunderbird. I like how WLM looks and works better, but if I can't depend on WLM to not have problems moving from a POP account to my IMAP Gmail account, then I need to be on a more stable email client or on the cloud if there is no decent client anymore. Consider this closed.