Thread: DCOM issue?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DCOM issue?

I am using XP home SP3. My primary database vendor has been trying to install a patch and for some reason it is not being installed. We tried going in as the Administrator with no joy. It seems as though changes to my machine aren’t being changed (at least user initiated changes). He said it looks like there is an issue with DCOM and was not allowing us to make changes.
    I went into Control panel and Administrative tool and then into Component services. I did not see anything obvious, but I am not really sure what to look for. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks
    Have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not done that. Could you enlighten me on the steps?

Thanks
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Right-click the Command Prompt shortcut and select "Run as adminsitrator".

When the Command window opens, at the prompt type sfc /scannow

and hit enter. It will take a bit for it to run. Just let it run to completion. It will report its findings when it finishes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    On XP, you may need an install disk with with the latest installed service pack when you run sfc /scannow.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So I went through the sfc / scannow function. It went through it's process and then went back to the command prompt. Now results, no nothing. Now what?

Thanks
    There is a neat little program from Steve Gibson called the "Decombobulator".

He explains that DCOM can be a real problem and he has the above mentioned program to turn off DCOM.

I use it often when working on XP machines that I've not seen before.

For XP Steve has several programs to close security holes in XP. I use them all.

www.grc.com
    Click on Freeware>Services>Decombobulator

That may solve your problem.

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    To find and check the SFC log, CBS.log, navigate to the Windows\Logs\CBS folder. If it logs unfixed errors close to the end of the log, reboot and run SFC /SCANNOW again, do this 3x times, it could repair further errors each time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did a search of the computer and did not find either a cbs.log file or a sfc.log file.

Does anyone have an opinion on removing DCOM? I read somewhere that is was not good to remove it, but the Steve Gibson article from DR.Who states it is unneeded.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So I went through to the Gibson website and removed DCOM. I am still having the problem with the computer not allowing me to load the database patch. I then tried to load the file it in Safe mode. It said I did not have authorization to load the file. My account is as an Administrator so I found that confusing. Is it possible to have different levels of administrator?
    Any thoughts on how I can get this exe file loaded? It seems I am being blocked by something, but I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

Thanks
    What OS? That makes a lot of difference.
    On later OS's, you can get things to work by using "Run as Administrator".
    I have to use that trick, several times a day, in my PC work.
    Especially on 8.1 with its High Security levels.
    I run a g'zillion little batch files and scripts to set up a new PC, or a reinstall of an OS, and to avoid getting the UAC blocking me, I run almost everything "as Administrator". Saves a lot of headaches.

Desktop shortcuts for many old programs that I still use, demand that in the shortcut, I have to specify "Run as Administrator".
    That works!

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running XP Home SP3.