I have a SATA hard drive docking station (Kingwin Model EZD-2535) that works with SATA hard drives. Specifications say that it works with Windows 98SE through Vista (although I'm using it with Windows 7 Pro), using either USB 2.0 or ESATA.

When I use it with my Sony laptop, it works fine with either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 (which it should, since USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible). I don't have an ESATA port on the laptop.

When I use it with my Powerspec desktop, it works fine with ESATA or USB 2.0, but is not recognized using the USB 3.0 ports. When I connect it to a USB 3.0 port (either of the two that I have), nothing happens (i.e., the drive never shows up in explorer), or after about 10 minutes or so, I get a message that the drive must be formatted before it can be used (which I don't do, of course, since I have data on the drive). The USB 3.0 ports show as functioning properly in Device Manager, and can read other USB 2.0 devices (such as a flash drive) with no problem.

The desktop has an Intel DH77EB mobo. I downloaded and installed the latest USB 3.0 driver from the Intel website for my mobo, but the system still does not recognize the docking station (although the USB 3.0 ports work properly with everything else using the new driver).

I read somewhere online that there is a setting in Win 7 that determines how it accesses the USB 3.0 ports, but there was no information provided in that thread.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?