Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Windows is bad and Linux is OS nirvana? Think again, with the help of some Linux lovers

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4623&t=2187165

Not an isolated opinion either...

P.S.: If you can be bothered to read, there are comparisons to Windows and Windows does not fare that bad .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    So how does this affect us in the Lounge??? I guess my opinion is "Who cares"! Perhaps this should have been placed in the Non-Microsoft OS's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you even read the post? Have you been reading the Windows 8 threads? If your answer is no to either, I suggest you do and then do the math.

For many here, the Lounge is about information and knowledge. I am just sharing some information that will provide more knowledge about how Windows fares in comparison with Linux, which I find quite interesting, coming, as it does, from bona fide Linux lovers. You can't find a more unbiased evaluation, IMO.

Plus, if you "don't care", other members may care and I think some will. Information and knowledge are like a buffet, each person picks what they want from what they are offered. My personal role here is to offer as much as I can and those "who care" will pick it if they want it. If they don't, hey, I still offered it and I am a happy guy just for offering it .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, good morning. You can count me in the "windows work" crowd. I gave Linux a fair shake for > 1 year. I could never get it to see my ATI video card, W-8 has to be prompted to use it but it does. I could never again get to listen to my favorite FM station on any Linux distro, Windows plays them all.
    I will admit that W-8.1 is not running here on my 4 year old Acer, I am not surprised, .1 might be too much for this OS. On the Toshiba laptop, it will not even D/L. I found out that even if running W-8 Pro, it will not get to.1 as the CPU is an AMD, search me why.
    CLI and Linux are not my "forte", I gave it an honest try as an education mainly, but Windows works ! That was the jest of the first writer on your URL, I will concur. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's really not any different than Windows in that respect but there are so few desktop distro users compared to Windows that it may be a little bit more difficult to find that opinion. From my own experience, preconfigured distros are simple and easy to use if all the hardware is recognized but as soon as one goes off-script, the time input and difficulties ramp up quickly, mainly for me because there don't seem to be installer packages that can account for prerequisites like third party Windows installation packages do. So off I go, searching the web for what else I need to make a program work on my system and soon I feel that same "wear and tear" factor reflected by the forum post linked to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

I don't use Linux, Jean, and I don't plan to. However, I have seen quite a few users suggesting that Linux is the way to go, considering how "bad" Windows 8 is, how XP won't get any support in a year or so, etc. Someone alerted me for this post and I found it interesting that some Linux users consider Windows superior in quite a few respects. I decided to post the link, as an informational link, to make clear that Windows, as "troubled" as it may be, has its own advantages and, in some respects, this is not only acknowledged by core Linux users, but some are even considering migrating to Windows!

I find this information relevant to those who may be thinking about a migration. Just food for thought - if you care for such intellectual entertainment, of course.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    It's really not any different than Windows in that respect but there are so few desktop distro users compared to Windows that it may be a little bit more difficult to find that opinion. From my own experience, preconfigured distros are simple and easy to use if all the hardware is recognized but as soon as one goes off-script, the time input and difficulties ramp up quickly, mainly for me because there don't seem to be installer packages that can account for prerequisites like third party Windows installation packages do. So off I go, searching the web for what else I need to make a program work on my system and soon I feel that same "wear and tear" factor reflected by the forum post linked to.
    Indeed. There are no perfect solutions, but better be informed about the caveats of each one, that's my take .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes I did indeed read the forum your link pointed to, and indeed I read all the Win 8 threads. My point was a discussion of Linux should be in the non-MS OS forum. I find it very insulting that you would suggest otherwise and I resent the implication!

It seems as though even long time Linux users are also users of Windows and in some case thinking of leaving Linux. I did not have to read a thread in a Linux forum to know that. Again, the forum thread you pointed to had no bearing on the Lounge or the use of Windows as an OS or Win 8 particularly. I did not even see mention of Win 8, just Win 7. Perhaps I did not read far enough in the thread to see any Win 8 discussions.

I also was a Linux experimenter for many months, and finally gave up trying to get Linux to work correctly on my Windows hardware. I will not purchase a Linux PC just to try Linux.

What math??? So we have a few dozen members having problems with Win 8.1. How many thousands are not having those problems. The people not having problems do not post that info for the most part. You know that as well as I. Yes a small percentage are having problems. Those are the people that post questions and that we provide the best answers we can. THAT is what the General Windows Forum and for the most part the Lounge is all about. If you wish to present info comparing Linux distros to Windows, please do so in the appropriate forum.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2013-11-13 at 11:06. Reason: Post edited to comply with Lounge rules
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    The math is simple, people suggest Linux is an option on Windows and I am giving them food for thought, when considering that. You disagree? Fine. It's your prerrogative.

This is not a Linux discussion, sorry to correct you. It is a discussion of why Windows can be an alternative to Linux. That's why I posted it in the Windows forum, because it is a reminder of some obvious Windows advantages.

Anyway, the options regarding where things are best located are determined by the Lounge staff. I appreciate your suggestions, though, as always .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    At one time Linux was poised to take the world by storm, but that never did happen.
    So they said it again at a later time when Ubuntu came about, but that never did materialize either.

When I hear people whining about Windows 8 lack of a start button & menu when it first came out, ...and threatening to move to Linux.
    I say yeah right. You just go for it sweetheart.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    At one time Linux was poised to take the world by storm, but that never did happen.
    So they said it again at a later time when Ubuntu came about, but that never did materialize either.

When I hear people whining about Windows 8 lack of a start button & menu when it first came out, ...and threatening to move to Linux.
    I say yeah right. You just go for it sweetheart.
    That's the whole point of the post, Clint, I just thought it is even more powerful when Linux users consider Windows a better option in some cases.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been a long-time reader and infrequent poster in these forums and have been reading Windows8-related posts with great interest. After my recent experiences (details to follow) I have been thinking of posting but have always viewed the Lounge as a place to get problems solved rather than simply to talk about good experiences. Medico's post about how we never hear from users who don't have problems prompted me to add my two-cents' worth here.

I have experience with every Windows version (except NT) since Windows 95, and I also have a laptop running Ubuntu. I hardly every turn on that laptop since I have found it nearly useless for most of my work. My two other laptops are currently running Win7, and the desktop that I am writing this from, which shipped in 2007 with Vista, is currently running 8.1, and doing so without a glitch. Before recently installing 8 and then 8.1 on this machine, I followed all the posts on the new OS with great interest and some puzzlement. I was and am especially puzzled by all the nay-sayers. I am completely pleased with Windows 8.1 and find absolutely no need for StartIsBack or any of the other modifications that many users find so essential. If you are running StartIsBack, you get a Start menu when you press the Windows key. So do I. It's just that mine is in the Tile format, not the old format. Otherwise, it's the same thing. I don't understand why that is so difficult. I find Windows 8.1 incredibly easy to use, and the transition from Windows 7 was smooth and painless (once I did a clean install and not an upgrade install). Windows has been changing constantly since the days of version 3.1, and it will continue to do so. I don't find that so difficult or so objectionable. My own opinion is that Microsoft has done a good job of easing Windows into the touch-screen tablet age. For myself, I spend nearly all my time on the Desktop half of Windows 8 and rarely use any of the TileWorld apps, but so what? I don't see a problem here. If I were a grouchy sort of person, I'd say, "Change happens. Get over it." But I'll just keep that in my thoughts rather than express it in this forum.

I would be remiss if I ended this post without thanking everyone who has posted about their experiences with Windows 8 and 8.1 over the past year. No doubt all that information has helped me make the transition so easily.

Fafner

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fafner For This Useful Post:

Medico (2013-11-14)

Thanks
    Thank you for your positive post. As I said we so rarely hear the good side, it is very refreshing to hear from one of the thousands who have had no problems with Win 8 or Win 8.1 and actually like this new OS.

I for one had the same results that you have had. Yes, there were a few minor glitches here and there, but the most argued about points are such an easy fix, that it really surprised me there was so much very emotional discussions about them. (I will not rehash any of them here) Win 8.1 just seems to work for me. And yes, for me it does seem quicker than my Win 7 was.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    I have been a long-time reader and infrequent poster in these forums and have been reading Windows8-related posts with great interest. After my recent experiences (details to follow) I have been thinking of posting but have always viewed the Lounge as a place to get problems solved rather than simply to talk about good experiences. Medico's post about how we never hear from users who don't have problems prompted me to add my two-cents' worth here.

I have experience with every Windows version (except NT) since Windows 95, and I also have a laptop running Ubuntu. I hardly every turn on that laptop since I have found it nearly useless for most of my work. My two other laptops are currently running Win7, and the desktop that I am writing this from, which shipped in 2007 with Vista, is currently running 8.1, and doing so without a glitch. Before recently installing 8 and then 8.1 on this machine, I followed all the posts on the new OS with great interest and some puzzlement. I was and am especially puzzled by all the nay-sayers. I am completely pleased with Windows 8.1 and find absolutely no need for StartIsBack or any of the other modifications that many users find so essential. If you are running StartIsBack, you get a Start menu when you press the Windows key. So do I. It's just that mine is in the Tile format, not the old format. Otherwise, it's the same thing. I don't understand why that is so difficult. I find Windows 8.1 incredibly easy to use, and the transition from Windows 7 was smooth and painless (once I did a clean install and not an upgrade install). Windows has been changing constantly since the days of version 3.1, and it will continue to do so. I don't find that so difficult or so objectionable. My own opinion is that Microsoft has done a good job of easing Windows into the touch-screen tablet age. For myself, I spend nearly all my time on the Desktop half of Windows 8 and rarely use any of the TileWorld apps, but so what? I don't see a problem here. If I were a grouchy sort of person, I'd say, "Change happens. Get over it." But I'll just keep that in my thoughts rather than express it in this forum.

I would be remiss if I ended this post without thanking everyone who has posted about their experiences with Windows 8 and 8.1 over the past year. No doubt all that information has helped me make the transition so easily.

Fafner
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Curiously, you have tried Linux as well, so you also have that OS to compare to your experience with all the Windows versions .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Plutonium Lounger ? What else do you do in life, Ted ?
    I did go back to Win-8 on my two main (?) machines, not a Win-8.1 problem, not a "me" problem either. My machines are an Acer of close to 4 year and a Toshiba laptop of 3 years. These are not .1 capable so, I do not blame MS, I just found out on the Toshiba that the AMD CPU is the choke point. Both of these run 8 nicely. My experience was not noted here extensively as I can run 8 to my liking, it works. The OS has been improved over the years and not my machines. Let this be one more positive post even if .1 is not used.
    I have another three machines still running W-7, positively ! Have a great Pluto day. Jean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast