Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

lE 11 coming to a Windows 7 PC near you

PATCH WATCH

lE 11 coming to a Windows 7 PC near you

By Susan Bradley

November brings zero-day fixes for most Windows machines plus the latest rendition of Internet Explorer for Windows 7. Those who have dipped into the Windows 8.1 waters will also see a flood of nonsecurity updates.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/ie-11-coming-to-a-windows-7-pc-near-you/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-11-13 at 21:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Vista Ultimate on my 32-bit notebook computer. Yesterday I installed the monthly assortment of Windows Updates; however, one of those updates, KB2868628--Security Update for Windows Vista, would not install. I tried several times, but each time I received a message that said that the update was not configured correctly and that it was reverting the changes. To clear any possible problems, I did a Restore from an Image Backup that I had made the night before, then tried to install only KB2868626--with the same results. I then installed all the other updates successfully. Is the problem with Microsoft or with my computer? What should I do? If the problem is with Microsoft, how do I report it to them?

Rowland

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you check that KB number as I'm not finding it listed?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I missed a KB
    Microsoft security advisory: Vulnerability in DirectAccess could allow security feature bypass:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2862152

I don't see a need for this on consumer machines.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have "Microsoft Security Advisory (2868725) - Update for Disabling RC4" as a security update in my Windows Update list (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit). Like 2862152, this wasn't in the November updates announcement. It sounds like some software may stop working if this is installed but it is not clear from the articles (at least, not to me it isn't!). Although it is classed as an important security update, it doesn't sound that urgent, so is it best to wait?

Support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2868725

Technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...visory/2868725

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patermann View Post
    I also have "Microsoft Security Advisory (2868725) - Update for Disabling RC4" as a security update in my Windows Update list (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit). Like 2862152, this wasn't in the November updates announcement. It sounds like some software may stop working if this is installed but it is not clear from the articles (at least, not to me it isn't!). Although it is classed as an important security update, it doesn't sound that urgent, so is it best to wait?

Support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2868725

Technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...visory/2868725
    This patch can affect how your computer connects to web sites and services on the net or on a network and it will affect operating system related utilities and apps. 3rd party apps likely won't be affected.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find any recommendations for the rest of that slew of Wait patches in October, KB2847311, KB2855844, KB2862335, KB2864202, KB2868038, KB2876284, KB2883150 and KB2884256.

Install or still wait?

Thanks
    Back on the subject listing: a question about Internet Explorer 11.
    I have two Acer netbooks (not the same model) both running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. One netbook was offered IE 11 as an important update. The other it is in with the optional updates. On a 32 bit Windows 7 Pro install, it is also among the optional updates.
    Now how can it be important and optional? The netbook where it is important doesn't have software different from the other netbook. All Windows updates as far as this November have been applied. Flash and FF have been updated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well, important or not, you may want to think a bit before installing. IE has been causing some issues in some systems. Not being an indispensable update,you may choose to postpone it for a while.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plodr View Post
    One netbook was offered IE 11 as an important update. The other it is in with the optional updates. On a 32 bit Windows 7 Pro install, it is also among the optional updates.
    Now how can it be important and optional?
    On a Win7 Home Premium I first saw IE11 offered on the important page (and I did not install anything). A couple of days later IE11 was offered amongst the optional updates. I could see that a Windows Update had executed a scan for updates in the intervening time period. Microsoft has apparently changed its mind about the update during that time.

My guess is that the differences you are seeing are probably a result of the timing of the various checks for updates by Windows Update on your PCs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blumenfeld View Post
    Susan, maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find any recommendations for the rest of that slew of Wait patches in October, KB2847311, KB2855844, KB2862335, KB2864202, KB2868038, KB2876284, KB2883150 and KB2884256.

Install or still wait?
    For KB's 2847311, 2862335, 2868038, and 2883150: See KB 2870008 on the Patch List, which covers the recommendation for all the patches covered in Microsoft Bulletin M13-081. If the other KB's also apply to Kernel/USB vulnerabilities, they may be covered there, as well. The Patch List recommendation for the KB's covered in MS13-081, except for KB 2862330, is to Install. There's a separate recommendation in the Description column of the Patch List for that one.

I'm not sure if all Automatic Updates work the same way, but I find the MS Bulletin number for theKB's I'm offerred by highlighting the KB and then clicking on the MS link that shows up in the details, and that usually takes me to the appropriate MS Bulletin. If a particular KB that I've been offerred doesn't show up on the Patch List in the Patch column, I then can usually find the recommendation by looking for the Bulletin number in the Description column. Hope this helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MarciaG For This Useful Post:

Bob Blumenfeld (2013-11-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Internet Explorer 11. Afterwards I could not access MSN Money - Portfolio Manager. I kept getting a screen asking me to verify my systems ? and make sure MS Silverlight was compatible with my system. I went through all that, uninstalled Silverlight and reinstalled it, restarted my computer and still got the same problem.
    I also found that the "Favorites" drop down stopped working like it was supposed to. I'd click on Favorites, the drop down did, and then immediately went away. I also found that putting an address in the addressline at the top of the internet explorer page stopped filling in what I was typing after the first word.
    I tried the stuff recommended by Microsoft Community to no avail. Then I figured out that the problem started happening after I downloaded and installed the 15 updates and installed Internet Explorer 11. So I did a system restore back to before the updates and IE11. Reinstalled IE10, the updates, tried the MSN Money>Portfolio Manager and it worked fine. It will probably be awhile before I install IE11 again.

Thanks
    My guess is that the differences you are seeing are probably a result of the timing of the various checks for updates by Windows Update on your PCs.
    That isn't it. The one netbook with Optional was checked, according to what update is telling me at 4:46am (interesting because the computer was not on at that time).
    The one that has IE 11 listed as Important was checked yesterday at 8:22pm; just to be absolutely sure, I checked for updates at 8:41pm today. It is still listed as Important. I guess I'll have to hide it because I keep getting the popup about new updates available.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciaG View Post
    For KB's 2847311, 2862335, 2868038, and 2883150: See KB 2870008 on the Patch List, which covers the recommendation for all the patches covered in Microsoft Bulletin M13-081. If the other KB's also apply to Kernel/USB vulnerabilities, they may be covered there, as well. The Patch List recommendation for the KB's covered in MS13-081, except for KB 2862330, is to Install. There's a separate recommendation in the Description column of the Patch List for that one.

I'm not sure if all Automatic Updates work the same way, but I find the MS Bulletin number for theKB's I'm offerred by highlighting the KB and then clicking on the MS link that shows up in the details, and that usually takes me to the appropriate MS Bulletin. If a particular KB that I've been offerred doesn't show up on the Patch List in the Patch column, I then can usually find the recommendation by looking for the Bulletin number in the Description column. Hope this helps.
    Thank you. Lost track of the rollup KB number 2870008; had been looking for the individual KB numbers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that there is a typo in the Regularly updated problem-patch chart, to wit:
    Patch: 2870008. Description: hold on KB2862300.
    I believe the KB should be 2862330.
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast