iNET Interactive
    Thanks

'PC settings' gets major makeover in Win8.1

TOP STORY

'PC settings' gets major makeover in Win8.1

By Fred Langa

Microsoft made a host of changes to the commands and options on Windows 8.1's PC settings page, adding new functions and moving or renaming others. The result is a better user experience — but one that's undeniably confusing at first. Here's a guide to the most important changes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/pc-settings-gets-major-makeover-in-win8-1 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been a subscriber to Windows Secrets for a long time: my password is alphabetized under "Langalist." But I got off the bus at Windows 7. I could not care less about Win 8, or 8.0, or 8.1. Win7 is clearly the end of the classic Windows road. When it's no longer supported, I'm going to get a Mac. I see no value in replacing a 27" LED-backed 2560X1900 monitor with something inferior just because it's touchscreen. I run MS Office 2003, which fills the needs of my small company perfectly. The classic Windows GUI is a no-brainer. Microsoft has thrown millions of us under the bus. So....I guess I'm starting to wonder why hang with Windows Secrets??? I guess, for now, it's the Forum and Win7 tips.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossbloom For This Useful Post:

bwhite2323 (2013-11-14),cavehomme (2013-11-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I'm surprised that in all the new items in WIN 8.1 you discuss that you didn't mention the forced and irreversible "upgrade" to Internet Explorer 11..........
    With its new "enhanced" protection setting it has already caused problems with many websites failing to display correctly and the connection to the local PC loopback address of 127.0.0.1 is now prevented.
    Why does Microsoft continue to treat us like Lab Rats for heavens sake?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, most experienced Windows users head straight for the traditional Control Panel interface. My guess is that they will always use this interface because it's simply easier and the GUI is far more practical.

Bluetop...they're pushing IE11 out to Win 7 machines now. It's not in optional updates, it's in the critical updates section but not checked by default.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not a computer whiz, just someone trying to use a PC for the features it offers me as a small business owner. And in my opinion Windows 8 and 8.1 seem like a toy, a frivolous and failed attempt to emulate the Ipad and combine it with Classic Windows. When I need Ipad features, I use my Ipad, because it handles those far better than 8.1. And If Microsoft is determined to confuse or eliminate the classic functionality and power of its former systems, I have to agree with mossbloom above. I'll eventually cut my ties and go completely to Mac.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello!
    I also have been a subscriber for a long time and I have done something really stupid: I upgraded my computer to 8.1. I have a problem more users have (an unusable Internet Explorer with a flickering window and a message from Windows Installer. You cannot access the Menu, you cannot do anything. You just have to use another browser. Applause for Microsoft. I had to upgrade to 8 because thanks to HP I had no OS recovery on my hard disk (you'd think you would get at least the standard OS with a 1300 euro PC, no??), as I don't like 8 and would like to have the start button back I thought 8.1 would be better... No. Pity.

The thing is that I like my computer, I cannot do many things I usually do on it on a Mac so I have to keep this, and one thing is sure: there must be a way to do whatever I do on a Mac?? I will learn and then it is over and out with Windows. I already have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Now to the learning....

Microsoft: this update stinks. The forum cannot be logged in, I cannot fix my problem, a real pain. Maybe somebody here at Windows Secrets will come up with a workable solution for the mess Microsoft has created...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evanhien View Post
    <snip>

Maybe somebody here at Windows Secrets will come up with a workable solution for the mess Microsoft has created...
    It exists already. It's called XP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    ...and Windows 7, just opt out of the I.E. troublegrades. Microsoft is gonna keep all the Win 8 beta testers busy with even more "makeover," so either get used to it or opt for something that can fill your needs. For me that equals XP and W7; I don't like being a gerbil in the spinning wheel when the cage door is still open and for Win 7 that means at least to 2020.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mossbloom View Post
    ......I could not care less about Win 8, or 8.0, or 8.1. Win7 is clearly the end of the classic Windows road. When it's no longer supported, I'm going to get a Mac.
    Well said moss, but I will probably go for Linux Mint or similar, it truly is excellent and the learning curve from Windows 7 is far less compared to trying to figure out the Windows 8 mess. However considering the excellent design and integration and ease of Apple I may be tempted to go for them.

As for WS, I too feel the Win 7 users should not be neglected so much and I may look elsewhere when my subscription runs out. I intend to use Win 7 until 2020 and I think WS should not forget such users - perhaps they may wish to consider creating two versions of their newsletter. However had I not read some of the Win 8 articles here, I would not have realised how bad Win 8 is and WS has helped me to avoid wasting my time and jumping into a Win 8 upgrade.