New Lounger
    Thanks

VBA: Subs and Functions: Navigating the IDE

I notice two things about Subs and Functions that require an argument:

1) They don't appear in the "Macro" dialog. (This is also true of all Functions, with or without arguments). I have to open a random module and use "Find" to locate it. Is there a listing somewhere that will show them all, so I can click and jump right to it?

2) I can't step through the Sub or Function unless its been called by another procedure. I realize that if I could do it, it would cause an error when it tries to use a "null" argument, but often that's a minor problem. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

-- Shawn

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) No, there is no general list of all procedures. Using the Find dialog is as good a way as any. It may help to name modules in a logical way and to group Subs and Functions into modules according to what they do.

2) No, there's no way to step into a function or a subroutine that has arguments without some caller that supplies the values of the arguments. If you tried it, you wouldn't get a null argument, you'd just get a runtime error (unless all the arguments are optional, but then they would always have default values). It's a good idea to write a Sub Test_XYZ() procedure at the same time that you write the Sub or Function, one that calls the Sub or Function with a variety of inputs. When you're about to distribute your work, simply comment out the Test routines -- you may want them back later.