Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE11 "The service is unavailable" (but IE10 OK)

Over the past 3 days I have encountered a persistent access error for a subscription web site using IE11, but is not evident using IE10 (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk)

IE11 v11.0.9600.16428 (Win7 x64 Pro SP1) = "The service is unavailable."

IE10 v10.0.9200.16736 (Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1) = web site is accessible

I've not encountered this problem previously with any web site. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a simple remedy ? TIA.

Dave.

Thanks
    Were you using IE 11 prior to this recent problem, and was it working correctly, or is this the first try with IE 11? It seems Win 7 is still having a problem with IE 11. Did you get the patch Tuesday updates yet? Perhaps one of the updates will help. If not perhaps sticking with IE 10 for a while longer may be in order. IE 11 was just recently released for Win 7.

You could try to go to the Gear icon, Compatibility View Settings, and while on the site with the problem, add the site manually. This site may not be on the default MS sites.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Were you using IE 11 prior to this recent problem, and was it working correctly ...
    Many thanks - yes, this issue seems have surfaced since the update of a few days ago. The problem has since been resolved by:

IE11 Tools > Compatibility View > add [problematic website]

This hasn't been necessary previously.

Dave.

Thanks
    Unfortunately each new version of IE is more secure than the last, and so far many web sites have not been updated to conform to the new requirements for IE 11. I suspect over time most of these will be resolved. That is why MS has added a list of sites in their Compatibility View Lists. Unfortunately these lists do not include all sites, so those have to be added manually.

Glad I helped to solve your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The difference is not strictly a security issue. It is that each successive version of IE is now more compatible with web standards (both approved and emerging). Compatibility view allows a web site to be run in a mode that recognizes how an older version of IE works and render the web site using the older methods. Medico is correct that the web site needs to be upgraded to recognize IE11 and conform to the standards IE11 expects.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE11 Print Preview doesn't work on many sites, and 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' appears several times a day.

Dave.

Thanks
    I'm getting that as well. Somewhat of a nuisance, but nothing I worry about. Does not cause anything other than a minor irritation for me. Even when I have multiple tabs open and close a tab, I sometimes get this, but it does not interrupt any other tab. Eventually this should be fixed by MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
    IE11 Print Preview doesn't work on many sites, and 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' appears several times a day.

Dave.
    IE 11 seems to be even worse than the previous versions, in that respect. The impression I get is this is the version that has generated more complaints, here,in the first few days after release.
    Rui
    -------
    R4