New Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore Fails Error 0x80042306

After upgrading Windows 7 Home to Windows 8.1 I am unable to complete a System Restore. After selecting "Create" in the System Restore panel I receive the following message:

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason.

The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. (0x80042306) Please try again."

Searching the Internet I find most references to the error code indicated to be associated with Windows Server. I checked Shadow Copy Provider in "Services" and found in was set to "Manual" I changed the Service to "automatic" but that had no effect. I have posted the problem in the Microsoft forum but it is is eerily quiet there on the topic :-)

Has anyone else encountered this error, or have any ideas for a solution ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you check the event logs?

How much disk space is allocated for system restore?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Did you check the event logs?

How much disk space is allocated for system restore?

Joe
    Thanks for the response. I have just solved the problem. I had two drives selected for restore point creation. I determined that restore would work on one drive by itself and determined that the second drive had a disk error that was corrected by disk repair on start-up (chkdsk). After correcting the disk error on the second drive I was able to run restore successfully on both drives. The "shadow copy" error message is very misleading in terms of what the actual problem was.

Bottom line...when you have this error always run a disk check. It is interesting to note that this disk did not have any errors at the time of the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1, which I believe may indicate that when data is repositioned on a disk an error may be present on the new data positioning on the disk. May be use to periodically check the disks after upgrade as a matter of routine.

Thanks
    Happy to hear you solved your problem. Thanks for posting back with the solution. It may help others.

Jerry