New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Sticky Arrow Arrrrggg!

Wife just upgraded to Windows 8.1 (she's my guinea pig) and first thing I noticed is those stupid "click here" arrows. Ok fine, but the one in the top left would NOT disappear. Click over it and it does its shrink and point thing but the whole box sits there. Looked online and someone said move your mouse to the top left hand corner. Nope stayed there.

The bottom left reminder box showed up but it disappeared as it is suppose to. Bad programing. HP7800 Core2 Duo 2.33 4GB ram

One thing this update did is put the "start" button back in its place but click on it and you go to the "Start" Metro. Nothing like wasting production time as the whole screen changes, which mentally breaks concentration. I was hoping to return to the 'pop up' menu like it has been for the last 15+ years. I liked the free Win8 start button program I downloaded. Wonder if I could get it back to that way.

I still haven't figured out/remembered how to play a tune and then get back to the desktop, or TURN OFF a tune. The constant flipping back and forth with the Metro screen is annoying.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbrooks View Post
    Wife just upgraded to Windows 8.1 (she's my guinea pig) and first thing I noticed is those stupid "click here" arrows. Ok fine, but the one in the top left would NOT disappear. Click over it and it does its shrink and point thing but the whole box sits there. Looked online and someone said move your mouse to the top left hand corner. Nope stayed there.

The bottom left reminder box showed up but it disappeared as it is suppose to. Bad programing. HP7800 Core2 Duo 2.33 4GB ram

One thing this update did is put the "start" button back in its place but click on it and you go to the "Start" Metro. Nothing like wasting production time as the whole screen changes, which mentally breaks concentration. I was hoping to return to the 'pop up' menu like it has been for the last 15+ years. I liked the free Win8 start button program I downloaded. Wonder if I could get it back to that way.

I still haven't figured out/remembered how to play a tune and then get back to the desktop, or TURN OFF a tune. The constant flipping back and forth with the Metro screen is annoying.
    You can use the start button 3rd party apps, without issues. Try yours, it should work with Windows 8.1.

Fastest way to get back to the desktop is to press the Winkey + D. Getting to the metro screen, press the Windows key. Pressing Windows key + TAB, releasing the tab key when you get to the application you want is the fastest way to switch between apps. I guess it can be the fastest way to do what you need with the music, as well. Winkey + tab, get to the music app, do what you want, Winkey + D, back to the desktop or Winkey + TAB again, releasing and pressing TAB for as many times as you need to get back to the desktop.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    All of the common Start Menu replacement apps have been updated for Win 8.1. In fact my Start8 was automatic when I installed Win 8.1. My wife's Classic shell had to be updated.

Classic Shell

Start8 by Stardock

StartIsBack

StartW8

Start Menu 8

These are the 5 Start Menu Replacement apps I have read about the most. As I said we use Start8 and Classic Shell. They are not all free, but the cost is so low as to be almost free.

On the Win 8.1 Start Screen, if you move the Desktop tile to the upper left of the tile groups, just pressing Enter while on the Start Screen will take you to the Desktop. Any Tile that is physically located in the Upper, Left of the tiles will be executed with the Enter key.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-11-14 at 11:46.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy