New Lounger
    Thanks

How to XP Home SP2 update to SP3

My SIL has an old PC that is running what I assume to be the base SP2 of XP. I would like to update her PC to the latest SP3/updates for her.
    I would have to do this by CD or flash drive (<2Gb) as she does not have an internet connection now wants one.

How would I build a CD/USB disk to update her PC ? Sh lives 11 hours away so running home for my internet connection is not an option.

Thanks
    You can download Windows XP SP3 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Copy the downloaded exe file to a CD and execute it on your SIL's PC.

It's been awhile since I did this but it may need an internet connection to complete though. Sorry.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2013-11-14 at 14:02.

Thanks
    Don't forget to make an image of her system before you update. Things can go wrong.
    There will be missed WU updates after the SP-3 update and no internet con means no updates.
    The good news is that at that time XP did offer it's updates for download, but you'll have to find them.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-11-14 at 14:32.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's slightly possible it might hang on the I.E.8 update so to be completely sure of installation without Internet I would download the I.E.8 standalone install package and take that with (and maybe the Chrome standalone install package as well just to be safe). Otherwise you should be good.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help.
    M$ isn't making it easy. I've downloaded SP3, IE8 and a couple important updates,
    but so far I haven't found a single place to get all the subsequent updates.
    I'll keep looking....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Use the WSUSOffline utility. Put it on an external USB drive and launch updategenerator.exe. Select/deselect which Windows versions and/or Office versions you want, and it will download all important updates for the selected products and save them to the external drive. Don't forget to select the "Include service packs" option.

Unplug the external and take it to the offline machine. Launch updateinstaller.exe (from the "client" folder) and it will check the offline machine, applying any missing service packs and updates.