Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update failed

For some odd reason, Windows Update failed in my Acer netbook. The past update cycle went with no problems. Trying some procedures found via Google after ascertaining that a manual try at updating was fruitless and doing a Microsoft Fix-it, I was told that (1) service registrations were missing or corrupt and (2) an error 0x800700d (2013-11-14-T-11_54_38A) occurred. I tried doing several fixes for the error to no avail: no download occurs. A manual try gives a constant search bar with no end.
    What gets me is that the only things I've done with it between Patch Tuesdays has been updating programs, nothing else. My smartphone and Windows 7 laptop handle the vast majority of the work. At least I have another netbook of the same vintage that I plan to do the latest updates to so I can get the KB numbers of the updates to do each manually to the bad one unless some kind soul can point me to a fix. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You mean you cannot download new updates?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yep. I cannot get any to download.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running sfc /scannow in a cmd prompt window opened as Administrator?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just tried it and I get a request for a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD to be inserted: a neat trick for a netbook. I did make an XP Home SP 3 to speed up reinstalls when SP3 is needed, maybe that would work. I would need to get my external DVD drive to plug into the netbook to try this which is currently at home with my other netbook of the same make/model, needed for an unsullied OS to get my first netbook back running (see some of my other posts about the fun I had with said netbook.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you can use the CD, I would advise you to. This may solve your issue, but it can also fail to do it, though.
    You may also want to let me know about any error messages you get when you try to use Windows update.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    There is NO CD drive on a Netbook. To even read a CD, you must have an external CD player with a USB output to the Netbook.

But it's XP! Why do you think you even need the MS Updates?

I and most of my XP customers have had Auto Updates shut off for a long time now, since they caused total system failure on many boxes.
    It seemed to me and many other users that MS was deliberately trying to sabotage our XP to get us to upgrade to the newest OS. It seems like folks don't like having to pay a Computer Tech to recover their PC after a MS Update.
    So just shutting them off and getting on with life seems like a very workable solution.

I too have an Acer Aspire ONE, Netbook and it does just fine with no more MS Updates.
    I like to use it when traveling, in it's Bullet Proof carrying case. (well, almost Bullet Proof anyway)

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have yet to see an XP system that I couldn't make Windows Updates work on. If it isn't working, its almost always a sign that something is corrupted on the PC. A malware infection or a corrupted .net install are the most common issues.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just finished trying a Windows XP Pro SP3 disc that came with a refurb Lenovo laptop and an ISO image of service pack 3 that I downloaded and burned in order to install SP3 on units that need it. In both cases the Microsoft Fix-It spit up and said wrong disc. Anything else I could find was pay-fors like ReImage that would require lotsa MS updates to get back to normal. Also I get notices of updates needed but no downloads nor any error messages. I can download individual KBs and install them and the "you have updates" notices I get later reflects the installs. I have run Malwarebytes, Avast, and Superantispyware with no problems found.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
    Just finished trying a Windows XP Pro SP3 disc that came with a refurb Lenovo laptop and an ISO image of service pack 3 that I downloaded and burned in order to install SP3 on units that need it. In both cases the Microsoft Fix-It spit up and said wrong disc. Anything else I could find was pay-fors like ReImage that would require lotsa MS updates to get back to normal. Also I get notices of updates needed but no downloads nor any error messages. I can download individual KBs and install them and the "you have updates" notices I get later reflects the installs. I have run Malwarebytes, Avast, and Superantispyware with no problems found.
    So you were not able to run sfc?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SFC absolutely demands the disc be inserted, otherwise it picks up it's football and goes home. The error mss. continue until you first close the cmd window then X out of the mss. It says it needs some .dlls that may be needed to do replacements. The problem is that, like most error ms., it is not crystal clear on it's desires and as such is easy to misinterpret.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I fear that without the help of sfc, maybe only some error code from Windows Update can provide alternative paths to a solution. Do you get any error codes from Windows Update?

Is System Restore an option? Which is the older restore point you can go back to?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No error codes shown from Windows Update. I have not tried System Restore; have to try that tomorrow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, please let us know how that goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System Restore a bust. The corrupted files that the Fix-it program mentioned are beyond the System Restore purview. I try a manual Microsoft update and it just keeps on a-checking. I used Oct. 11 point-nope.
    Last edited by shadowjack; 2013-11-19 at 13:54. Reason: more input

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast