3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE11 (for Win7) and my existing My MSN page

I am using 64-bit Windows 7 and have just a couple of hours ago upgraded IE9 to IE11 and already am having a problem getting IE11 to open up with my long time existing My MSN page. I can sign into it easily enough, and I have gone to Internet Options and selected "Use current," and yet I am still asked to manually log into My MSN each and every time. The new IE11 keeps asking me if I want to create a new account and MSN page.

Am I overlooking something somehow? I once upgraded to IE10 then went back to IE9 in frustration, and I am already seeing a path back to IE9 once again if I can't make this work? What am I missing here? Can anyone out there tell me in simple step by step baby steps how to get IE11 to open my My MSN page as IE9 does whenever it opens, please?

I really do not recall having this issue before, and I would really like to give IE11 a try, but if I have to go through a manual log in process each and every time, then it is just not worth it to me and I will revert to version 9 once again. My MSN is home page for Firefox as well (though I rarely use it), and I have the same issue there also. Please help. Thank you.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NOW I AM confused!! I just opened up Firefox, and the correct My MSN page does open as default home page now, but it hasn't done so until now. It still does not do so in the new IE11 though, not unless I manually open it, so no change there. If I cannot find a way of resolving it in IE11, then I will just uninstall it and revert to IE9 for the second time. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I am using 64-bit Windows 7 and have just a couple of hours ago upgraded IE9 to IE11 and already am having a problem getting IE11 to open up with my long time existing My MSN page. I can sign into it easily enough, and I have gone to Internet Options and selected "Use current," and yet I am still asked to manually log into My MSN each and every time. The new IE11 keeps asking me if I want to create a new account and MSN page.

Am I overlooking something somehow? I once upgraded to IE10 then went back to IE9 in frustration, and I am already seeing a path back to IE9 once again if I can't make this work? What am I missing here? Can anyone out there tell me in simple step by step baby steps how to get IE11 to open my My MSN page as IE9 does whenever it opens, please?

I really do not recall having this issue before, and I would really like to give IE11 a try, but if I have to go through a manual log in process each and every time, then it is just not worth it to me and I will revert to version 9 once again. My MSN is home page for Firefox as well (though I rarely use it), and I have the same issue there also. Please help. Thank you.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When you sign in do you select the "keep me signed in" checkbox?

Can you post a screenshot of what is being asked of you?

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2013-11-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE11 (for Win7) and my existing My MSN page

Joe, I hope this screen shot makes it through to you because I had a heck of a time getting it attached to this reply.

In short, answers to your questions follow:
    1. Yes, as you will see in one view of the screen shot, I did ask to be kept signed in. However, I just noticed a bit ago that my sign in for this forum is set to "remember me" and I just noticed it is requiring me to sign in each time as well. Does this mean anything, and can the two problems be related? When I signed in after installing IE11, it also made me change the password for my new My MSN page too, and that seems very strange after all this time of using the old one.
    2. Screen shot is attached, if it goes out. I did have a hard time attaching it though so I hope it makes the trip. I have it saved to HD though, so if it doesn't make it I can resend it as an email attachment or even fax it to you if it will help.

Thank you for the help. I am almost to the point of just forgetting the whole idea of upgrading and returning to IE9 just as I did when I tried IE10, but I will wait and see what I can find out here first.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

Joe

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This just has not been my day. Now I have discovered with my last reply to you that the size limit for attachments is not high enough that it accepted my last attempt to send you the screenshots. I hope my little photo editing tool has now got them small enough to make it through. They are the screen shots you asked for in your previous reply above.

Please let me know if they do get through this time, and hopefully they will make some sense to you. I will be hoping to hear from you soon.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I also use MyMSN as one of my home pages. I also use Last Pass as my Password Manager. What I do is to put the log on URL into the Home Page section in Internet Options rather than the final page URL. This then opens the log on page which I then select "Keep me logged on". Now when I select the IE icon on my Taskbar, it automatically opens the MSN log on page, and logs me on. Unless I clear my cookies upon log off, IE remembers my last selection and automatically opens my MyMSN page.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

decann (2013-11-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 & Medico,

Now I really am puzzled about this. When I sat down this morning at my usual place to drink my morning coffee, the first thing I looked at was IE11 and it was working fine. My My MSN page opened with IE as it was supposed to do, and this morning there is no apparent indication that there ever was any problem so I can't explain the situation yesterday getting my default home page to display.

One thing that did happen this morning was that there was a displayed notice from my AV protection (McAfee Total Protection) indicating something new was trying to access the Internet from my computer. I recognized the name (something to do with synchronization) so I authorized it, and it was immediately afterwards when I found my home page working. I am no expert, but it appears at first glance the new IE installation was simply waiting for my McAfee firewall to synchronize and approve of the connection.

I was waiting to read the replies I received here, but was prepared to uninstall IE11 and revert back to IE9. Now I am kind of keeping an eye on things for awhile, but it does appear for the moment that I have full functionality once again.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Great. Glad it appears to be resolved. Let's hope it is OK for good. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2013-11-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is only based on an hour or two of usage this morning, but one thing I think I am noticing is that IE11 seems noticeably faster than 9 was in the same machine, and 9 was not especially what I considered to be "slow."
    Great. Glad it appears to be resolved. Let's hope it is OK for good. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

David E. Cann

Thanks
    decann,

Just a SWAG here but I too see the first screen shot on occasion, but I only get it whenever I delete my cookies, no matter if I have it set to or not to, or if I sign out of that account, and into another. Just something's to check. The only problem I've had with I.E. 11 on Windows 7 is that I keep getting the message that the Skype add-in is not compatible and needs to be disabled. That was the first or second thing I did too (disabling Skype). I don't have that with Windows 8.1 however.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    The info on your sign on and remembering to keep you logged on is stored in the sites cookie, so as I said above, unless I clean out the cookies (which I do on occasion) MyMSN sign on is remembered. With Last Pass, even when I delete the cookies, the site signs on automatically for me the next time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye out for it, but I will revert back to my properly functioning IE9 (as I did with IE10 some months ago) before I put up with too many problems. I am too old to want to deal with very many problems if I can avoid them. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    decann,

Just a SWAG here but I too see the first screen shot on occasion, but I only get it whenever I delete my cookies, no matter if I have it set to or not to, or if I sign out of that account, and into another. Just something's to check. The only problem I've had with I.E. 11 on Windows 7 is that I keep getting the message that the Skype add-in is not compatible and needs to be disabled. That was the first or second thing I did too (disabling Skype). I don't have that with Windows 8.1 however.

John

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, I will have to keep that in mind if/when I ever clean out my cookies. I don't do it often though, simply because I hate to have to reset everything afterwards. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The info on your sign on and remembering to keep you logged on is stored in the sites cookie, so as I said above, unless I clean out the cookies (which I do on occasion) MyMSN sign on is remembered. With Last Pass, even when I delete the cookies, the site signs on automatically for me the next time.

David E. Cann