3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security in VB to Access MDB (VB6 and Access 2K)

This is my first visual basic project that I built from the ground up.

I need to invoke security on this application with basically two user levels. The user names and passwords are going to be generic (this violates some rules, I know). I will have an ADMIN user and a USER user.

To secure an Access database I would create a MDW file and set my security against that. Now, when I connect to this back end from VB, would I just pass into it the username and password from the sign in form in VB? In storing the passwords and user names, can I access them from VB by using a query and just append WITH OWNER ACCESS OPTION at the end?

Thank You,
    Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security in VB to Access MDB (VB6 and Access 2K)

First, let me point out that if you have an ADMIN user and you give that user administrative permissions on the objects in your database, you might as well not secure it at all. The ADMIN user is the default user in Access, and all anyone would have to do is open the database from an unsecured MDW and they will have full permissions on everything in your database.

I'm not sure what you mean by storing the passwords and user names. Where are you planning to store them? Again, if you store them in the database, then nothing about it is secured.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

I just re-read my post and it was a little confusing.

I need to completely secure the back end database so that it can't be opened by someone with Access 2000. My choice of user names was poor. I meant to say I would have one username and password with Admin privileges and a different one with User privileges.

The only place I can think of storing the user and password list for Visual Basic is in the back end, but that would also have to be completely secure. I'm hoping that something like the Owner Access Option will work in accessing this list so that those corresponding values can be plugged into the connect string.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The permissions are stored in the database, but the passwords themselves are actually stored in the MDW file. If you store them in clear in a table in a secured database, you would still have to use a password to get at them, which means you need a connect string in the first place. Plus, there are crackers out there that break Access security with the greatest of ease, so I hope you aren't planning on storing any vital information in that database.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm, I knew Access was crackable but I didn't realize it was that easy. In the environment it is going to be in it should be okay, though I don't have much of a choice anyway.

So do you think I should keep the password list in a separate secured table with the passwords to the password database hardcoded in the connection string, grab the information, then use it in the connection string to the production database?

My basic issue is that I need to have two levels of security to an Access 2000 back end with a VB6 front end.