New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry How to do a nondestructive reinstall of WinXP SP3

I am the family go-to for computer problems, but am stumped. The Langa method for a nondestructive reinstall has worked for me countless times for WINXP Pro SP2. I now am facing a computer that grandma said had been upgraded to WINXP Pro SP3 which does not boot fully into WINXP any more. On trying a non-destructive reinstall, I no longer get the 'Repair an Installation' option during the reinstall process. Is there a work-around? And yes, grandma swore she did a backup, but lost the image disk. She wants to keep this installation because of all the expensive programs that had been installed...

Thanks,
    Burk

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does that mean you are booting from a recovery CD or DVD? I fear a repair install needs you to be able to boot into the operating system. Unless you do, there is no way to start a repair install.

Is trying System Restore an option?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Does that mean you are booting from a recovery CD or DVD? I fear a repair install needs you to be able to boot into the operating system. Unless you do, there is no way to start a repair install.

Is trying System Restore an option?
    You don't have to be in the OS to do an XP repair install. You do need an XP install disk with the same Service pack level as the Current OS has.

Jerry

Thanks
    If the XP install disk does not offer a Repair Installation option, it couldn't find an XP installation on the disk. Check BIOS to be sure the disk with XP is listed and selected as the boot disk.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You don't have to be in the OS to do an XP repair install. You do need an XP install disk with the same Service pack level as the Current OS has.

Jerry
    I won't dispute that, Jerry. I have never tried a repair install with XP, so I accept your information about it. I really thought it was similar to the other repair installs, but I have just confirmed that, as you stated, I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes, I wish Microsoft had preserved this option in Vista, 7, and 8. It's useful when the system won't boot.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Yes, I wish Microsoft had preserved this option in Vista, 7, and 8. It's useful when the system won't boot.

Jerry
    It is, indeed .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done repair installs in the past. One problem I encountered was the disk needed to have the hotfixes slipstreamed or it would throw an error and not complete if you were a couple months behind. The places I used to get the update packs to slipstream have all quit making them. I'm trying to fix my nephew's old XP box because windows update stopped working.
    Joe