3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Antivirus and boot times.

I have removed Microsoft Security Essentials and installed 360 Internet Security 2013, following adverse reviews for the first and very good reviews for the second. According to Saluto my boot time is 4.14 minutes, with the new antivirus program using 2.37 minutes of that time. Is this typical of good free antivirus packages - would AVG Free or some similar free package load quicker - or is there something about my computer that makes loading so very slow.

Thanks
    My PC loads from cold start to ready to use in something like 30 to 45 seconds. I use AVG AV 2013 Pro. I do not use the suite. I dumped Norton long ago because of resource usage and have never tried it again. Supposedly it's better now, but your experience does not show that. My PC is several years old and uses a platter HD and Bios. It is not a newer SSD PC.

I would also check what other apps are starting with Windows. Most probably do not need to start with Windows. I use a small app called What's In Startup to see what is starting, then disable to test and delete all the unwanted start up apps. Most apps you install think they have to start with Windows to be efficient. Just ain't so with modern PC's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-11-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Antivirus and other security software usually do increase the boot up time. 2.37 minutes just for the security program (Norton Internet Security is much more than an AV), does seem a little long, but it probably is endurable considering how much better it will protect you, compared with MSE.

Have no doubts, NIS is way much better than MSE in terms of the protection it provides. What would matter to me is how it affects your normal usage of the computer, other than boot time. Boot time is a one time a day nuisance or even less than that, if you choose to put your computer into sleep mode or hibernation, which is what I do with my Windows 7 desktop. Windows 8 is much better in this respect.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-11-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Saluto, essential startup Apps take 1.35 minutes, potentially removable ones 2.38, of which 2.37 is the antivirus program. When the computer has fully booted up - said to be 4.14 minutes, it works fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    According to Saluto, essential startup Apps take 1.35 minutes, potentially removable ones 2.38, of which 2.37 is the antivirus program. When the computer has fully booted up - said to be 4.14 minutes, it works fine.
    If you are happy with the way it behaves once it boots, leave it as it is now. An app like NIS requires some attention to what you do when you are prompted to allow something. FWIW, being much better than MSE, NIS seems to be unable to stop stuff like CryptoLocker, so it could do better.

Remember, keeping up to date backups is as important as any active security measures you take.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-11-16)