New Lounger
    Thanks

Word not displaying file when opening

I'm looking for help with MSWord 2007 running on Windows7, Dell Latitude; prior to last week, when I wanted to open a Word doc I simply double clicked the filename, the word application started and the selected file was automatically loaded inside the application.

Since last week, when I do the same procedure, the word application starts but the clicked file is not automatically loaded. The word application does start and I can open any document by clicking the Office icon in the MSWord application and Open, but that is tedious as I have to navigate the file structure to get at the document I want to open.

I did nothing last week, at least that I remember, that would cause this change in behavior. No new applications loaded, nothing odd with my hardware, I didn't fiddle with any MSWord macros or settings, etc. Today I renamed my normal.dot to normal.old and forced Word to create a new normal.dot but that didn't help.

I'm usually able to track down answers to MS Office issues using google, but I'm not finding anything; probably because I can't describe it well enough for google to perform a proper search.

Here is an example of my problem, when I double click the Word icon that has the name "logins" the following is displayed:

word1.jpg

For reference, the following is displayed when I start Word from Microsoft Start -> Microsoft Office Word 2007

word2.jpg

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by haper View Post
    Here is an example of my problem, when I double click the Word icon that has the name "logins" the following is displayed:
    Since Word's icon doesn't have the name "logins", that suggests you have some customizations associated with that shortcut, including, perhaps, a command-line switch to either open with no documents or to load a particular template that can't now be found.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    The second screenshot tells me that you have text in your normal.dotm file. You do not want that text there! Delete it from your normal.dotm file.
    http://addbalance.com/word/normaltemplate.htm

With Word already open (for at least 30 seconds) what happens if you double-click on your icons file?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    The second screenshot tells me that you have text in your normal.dotm file. You do not want that text there! Delete it from your normal.dotm file.
    First, thx for the reply; I followed the directions in the link, now when i start MSWord from the Start menu I am displayed a blank normal.dot document which I assume is what you recommend. But when I double click a .doc document I still have the original problem where the file is not opened. I also hard booted my laptop and still getting the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    With Word already open (for at least 30 seconds) what happens if you double-click on your icons file?
    There is no change in behavior.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Since Word's icon doesn't have the name "logins", that suggests you have some customizations associated with that shortcut, including, perhaps, a command-line switch to either open with no documents or to load a particular template that can't now be found.
    macroPod, I'm not sure I follow you here as the screen image shows the word icon has the label / name "logins". For additional info, this behavior is occurring for all .doc files on my machine and for all .doc files I try to open from within outlook msgs. Also, these word files opened normally last week; this behavior started for all files on Thurs 7-Nov.

Here are the properties associated with the Login.doc file for reference:

file1.jpg

file2.jpg

file3.jpg

Thanks
    [With Word already open... when I double click on Icons.doc...] There is no change in behavior.
    Try re-registering your Word 2007 with Windows.

With Word closed find the Run command on the Windows Start menu. Copy the following line and paste it into the Run window and hit Enter:
    WINWORD.EXE /r

Note the space between the command and the slash. Note, only do this if you only have one version of Word on your computer. If you have multiple versions it a bit more complex.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-11-16 at 13:55.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    First, thx for the reply; I followed the directions in the link, now when i start MSWord from the Start menu I am displayed a blank normal.dot document which I assume is what you recommend.
    Very much so. The normal template should never contain text (including no headers or footers).
    Here is more about templates in general: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I follow you here as the screen image shows the word icon has the label / name "logins".
    Here are the properties associated with the Login.doc file for reference:
    OK, what those screenshots show is that 'logins' is a Word template, not a shortcut, and it appears Word's file associations have been damaged. In that case, try the 'WinWord.exe /r' solution suggested by Charles. If that doesn't work, try repairing Word (via Word Options|Resources|Diagnose).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]