Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 Freezes on startup

I'm using a Surface Pro 2 purchased less than a week ago, and now IE 11 is useless. No matter how I run it, it freezes a few seconds later, without loading the home page. It displays the "Your last session closed unexpectedly" bar at the bottom, but before I can do anything, such as get into the tools, it freezes and has to be closed by Task Manager.

I have tried unchecking IE 11 from Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off, then rebooting, re-checking, rebooting, and it has no effect.

I also tried to clean out the junk with CCleaner. Again, no effect.

Help would be appreciated (no suggestions about using another browser, please, as I do use Chrome on this PC, not Firefox yet). FWIW, Chrome works fine, so hardware isn't an issue.

Possible clue - it recently did an automatic Windows Update and about that time started acting up. I reviewed the list of updates and nothing appears amiss.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried starting IE with add-ons disabled?

Joe

Thanks
    Did the tablet come with Win 8 or Win 8.1 (I suspect Win 8.1 but thought I would verify that)? Was IE 11 working OK to start with?

If starting with add-ons disabled does not work, you could try to Reset IE to it's default settings:

ResetIE.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517 and Medico for your responses. The Surface Pro 2 came with Windows 8.1 Pro preinstalled. As far as both suggestions, I couldn't try them because I can't enter Internet Options from IE; it freezes too fast. After more googling, I decided to do a semi-scorched earth solution and run System Restore to the first Restore Point before this problem came up. That worked, but I also lost a few settings that I have to redo. No biggie.

Interestingly, IE 11 flagged three incompatible add-ons when I started it up:

Lync Browser Helper
    Office Document Cache Handler
    MS Skydrive Pro Browser Helper

All are Microsoft software (I installed Office 2013 Pro since purchase). It seems MS software isn't compatible with other MS software. Nice work, Redmond.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    To run desktop IE with add-ons disabled open the run window (Win+R or right click start button and select Run), type "iexplore.exe -extoff" (without the quotation marks and with a space between the e and -).

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the exact same issue. Windows updates were installed before I shut down last night. I'm sure this This is a two week old laptop, and I have already loaded lots of stuff and personalized it quite a bit, so I don't want to do a system reinstall or reset. So if anyone comes up with a solution to this, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I forgot to mention, I disabled all add-ons, and that didn't fix the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! This worked. I sure would like to know what was in that update that caused this.

Thanks
    You can also get to Internet Options through the control panel without opening the browser. Since I have CP set up as a menu in Start8 it's also easy to find Internet Options.

Start8.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy