New Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Thunderbird inbox

My inbox in Thunderbird suddenly contains about 29 000 messages, but there were only 20 there when I open it. I tried compacting it to no avail. It seems like all messages, including deleted ones are included. I checked it's size and inbox size is about 75 k and inbox.msf is 5 k. So I moved the 20 files to other folders. Then I deleted the inbox.msf file. No result.
    Thunderbird seems to work normally, though. It is a pop3 account. What can I do short of uninstalling T-bird and reinstalling it?

Windows 7 64b SP 1.
    Thunderbird 24.1.0

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click on the Inbox and select Properties.
    Click Repair Folder.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tanks for your advice. It did now work. But tried another method. I made a backup copy of the inbox file and then opened the original one with Notepad and deleted all the text in it and saved it. Then I restarted T-bird and the inbox was back empty. But, this might be a temporary solution. I still do not understand why the inbox was shown with about 30000 messages. There were only about 200 messages shown in the file. It might happen again. Is there som kind of size limit in Thunderbird? So I may be tack.

All the best,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The size limit is about 15GB.
    Stick to the repair function.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Inbox probably showed it had 30000 messages most likely as it was never (or not recently) compacted.

After you delete messages 'compact' your folders, as those messages are only marked for deletion and hidden. They're not physically removed until you "compact" the folder. Folders can get corrupted when many messages are deleted and you don't compact often enough. Its recommended that you keep the number of messages in your inbox small, and move any you want to keep to other folders.

See Keep it Working.
    and Compacting Folders.
    and Compacting - What it is and why I must do it.

Thanks
    I suppose that compacting applies to all email programs, and for the same reason that you have stated above.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the inbox was compacted already but to no avail. And I routinely move messages from the inbox to other boxes. So what happened is a mystery to me. So far it has not happened again.