3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom CD drive

Hopefully, I have posted in the right place.

I have an HP computer which came with Windows 7 which I have not reinstalled. The system has one DVD drive.

I like to change the default drive letter of my DVD drive to the letter R so that inserting and removing external drives, flash drives, and mapping network drives don't affect the DVD drive letter. Also, HP installed a multi-format card reader which Windows sees as additional drive letters.

Ever since I did this, a phantom CD drive shows up as drive F. I have three partitions on my only internal HD which show up as C, D, and E which is correct plus the HP Recovery Partition to which I have assigned the letter P.

The F drive does not show up in the Disk Management screen. When attempting to access it in Windows Explorer, I get a "Please insert disc into Drive F" message box even if I actually have a disc in the drive.

Here is the kicker. I have set up the computer to dual boot into wither Win 7 or Win 8.1. If I boot into 8.1, the phantom drive is not there.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I believe the system automatically assigns the next available drive (after the HD partitions) to any permanently installed drives. Most CD/DVD drives are permanently attached (yea I know they can be replaced, but they are not removable in the USB sense). As such they are given the next available drive letter. Inserting removable drives should not have any affect on the CD/DVD drive letter designation whatsoever.

For example on my laptop, my active OS is assigned the C Drive, my Data Partition is assigned the D Drive and my CD/DVD drive is assigned the E Drive. Any USB device that is plugged in will then grab the next available drive letter, which will be relinquished when the device is unplugged.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted.
    I have had the same phantom drive showing up. This took place when installing some MU, in the last month or so. I have never partitioned my C:\. It got split in two exact sized partitions, unbeknown to me. That D:\ was empty, nada ! To cure this, as no way could the C:\ be resized, I used the "Disk Management" and "unallocated" that D:\, did a clone of it, and Acronis does not clone empty space. I then formatted the whole 0 HD, master on the MoBo, then cloned the USB back to it. Now, I have the whole medium at my disposal. Why did MS partition the HD ? If I remember well, this also took place when installing W-7 on a pristine HD. I have not cured this yet but I now know how. This HD is at my summer place, it will be done next May.

Thanks
    I do not have a clue why the second equal sized partition. I have never seen this phenomena. I would think a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard mini tool would have been successful at deleting the second partition, thus leaving unallocated space, then resizing the C drive into this space. I have done this very thing many times.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy